1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grilles - Hey TJ ..

Discussion in 'General' started by ekraft84, May 22, 2018.

1. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

Jealous. I replaced the ash grate at the bottom with a charcoal basket, per attbq.com, and I can get to 350 degrees in 5 minutes with my bge. Eventually, though, I'll be getting a Yoder. There just isn't enough cooking space on my large bge.

dobr24 likes this.
  2. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

There’s always the XL egg. [emoji16]

3. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Webber was recently bought out and some quality has been stripped out. I have a prebuyout Spirit 310 (has cabinet underneath) and the new ones don't and are a bit thinner. To get the same quality of my Spirit 310 now you would have to step up to the Genesis line.

I use my grill about 3 times a week year round and I just this spring replaced the covers over the burner. I couldn't be happier and it still works and looks like new.

4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

It makes me a better cook because I suck eggs at grilling:D

Funkm05 likes this.
  5. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

6. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

It means you can cook overnight without getting up to check on it. It also allows you to program cooks...time at a certain temp...then more time at another temp...then finish at a thermo reading or any combination of stepped times and temps. And it's just easier to control or check on it remotely when doing other things.

At the extra cost versus any comparable wifi thermo it's a no-brainer. And the temps are accurate versus my calibrated Thermopen MK4

Funkm05 likes this.
  7. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Says every BGE owner until they see a good pellet smoker in action. BGE have some advantages but ease of use is not 1 of them.

Funkm05 likes this.
  8. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

Nope, still don't need to watch it over a long cook. My maverick will tell me once it's done.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

How is a pellet better than propane?

10. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Flavor.

bleacht likes this.
  11. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Pellet smoker is for slow cooks or if you like wood grilled taste. I have a Weber Genesis propane and use both depending upon grilling or slow cooking. It burns the wood you want to use for both the heat and flavor of smoke.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Okay so you're talking regular grills? My propane smoker has great wood smoke flavor.

13. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Honestly, I love my pellet grill because it adds great flavor and is VERY versatile. I can smoke. I can grill. I can do anything in between. It’s also about as easy to use as propane ... heats quickly, easy to control temp. It’s a total win on pretty much every level.

dobr24 likes this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Make sense factoring in the grilling aspect. I don't even use my gas grill at this point, having too much fun with cast iron :D

15. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I love bacon and hate the bacon smell in the house. I also love bacon cooked in the cast iron. I put my biggest cast iron frying pan in the gas grill and let it rip. Then I cook my bacon and eggs in that. The best of both worlds. I have the biggest fanciest Sears Kenmore grill that they had and they delivered it assembled in a big truck and 2 big guys carried it up the steps to my spot on the deck for me. I don't know who really makes it or where it is made. I just know I have 6 burners and have used them all at the same time when I get rolling. I will make everything on the grill. By the time I get some ribs, steaks, fish, corn and potatoes all going at the same time, I need the grill and the upper racks. When we had the new house built, I piped natural gas to the deck. I never have to change out a tank again.
    Get a big Sears grill. Mine has a built in fridge, too so my beers are always cold and handy. Grilling is hard sweaty work and a man needs his beers.

16. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I use my cast iron on my pellet pooper!

17. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I have a weber cast iron griddle on my genesis that friggin rocks

18. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Do you have a Costco close? They have a Pit Boss BGE knockoff that’s literally half the price by the time you buy all the stuff you need. If mine was green you couldn’t tell the difference.

I have 2 Traegers and a nearly 20 year old Weber. Customer service for both brands has been great, I haven’t paid for anything the handful of times I’ve had an issue.

The pellet smokers are great for chicken or Long set it and go to sleep cooks but I got the pit boss to get more smoke. You will never over smoke anything on a pellet pooper but I want a bit more smoke and a better bark on a brisket YMMV.

The Weber was pretty much relegated to steak duty but now with the BGE thing I really don’t see much use for the Weber.