1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gratuities

Discussion in 'General' started by backcountryme, May 13, 2016.

1. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I read this entire thread and was going to post about what cheap shits most of you are, but then the real story was that you needed to go to a tire place for them to put your spare on for you :Poke:

2. No.

The tire blew as I was on the Bristol Highway, I could see the Tire Barn directly in front of me. I had hoped to run in there and buy a new tire and be done with it. But they didn't carry those tires in stock so they put the spare on.

I can change a tire fast. I blew so many damn tires on my previous toy hauler that I got to where I could change the wheel on the toy hauler in 7 minutes, (from the time I climbed out of the truck, till the time I climbed back in), using manual tools.

3. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

I build in a 20% tip for my drivers, they still get cash tipped on top of it.
    $480 LAX to San Diego and they till tip $20/$100 cash.

4. Do you/they let the customers know the tip is built-in already?

Personally, I hate that shit.

1. What if the service is shit and they don't deserve a tip?
    2. What if the service was "good enough" for a tip, but not 20%?

I reckon it is tolerable as long as I am made aware that the tip is built-in to the price, but it still pisses me off. I think it is bullshit. A tip is earned, not given. I can't stand it when someone takes it upon themselves to make decision for me and automatically includes a tip in the bill.

I know that might not necessarily be applicable to drivers, but I haven't seen that topic discussed in this thread, so I am just saying.

In general, I think it is very audacious, and overstepping, for someone to make that assumption on my behalf. If a tip is earned, I will give one...and generously when necessary. But I don't want someone automatically including it in the bill. It really pisses me off when people do that.

When I see that, I think "who the fuck are you to decide if and how much I will tip?...and how do you know the service will be worthy of a tip?"....and then I won't use that service/place again.

backcountryme likes this.
  5. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Adding the tip to the bill is pure bullshit. A tip is not part of the cost of goods or services. It is the responsibility of the one providing the goods or services to do an exemplary job to earn the extra income. If you are going to add the tip to the bill why don’t you pay the drivers the extra 20% in the first place? In all honesty, if I knew upfront that 20% was going to be added to my bill for a gratuity I would never use that service provider.

Gorilla George likes this.
  6. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

My original post in this thread was kicked off by a hotel restaurant adding the tip onto my charge. I haven’t been back to that hotel since that. And I have been in that city about 6 times since that happened.

Gorilla George likes this.
  7. :stupid:

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sitting there is an entirely different thing. Like I said, I base it on taking up space, just making and handing me the drink isn't the same as sitting there.

9. BigBird

BigBird blah

10. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I read that article earlier and have mixed feelings. The caddie knew it was a one/off deal and he was getting $5 grand to haul a bag around for 4 days.
    Then again, Kuch has won close to $50 Mil in prize winnings for his career so he ain't hurting. But what if Kuch came in last...is the caddie going
    to give him money back? (last probably paid $100 G's:D)

11. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

5 large to tote someone's bag and wash their balls?

Hmmm

rd400racer likes this.
  12. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Mixed feeling. $5k after winning the event in part due to the local caddies course knowledge is a dbag move, turning down the additional $15k because you want $50k is a stupid move. His normal caddy would have pocketed just over 100K for the weekend after expenses. $50k was the right move for Kuch. I don't think he should have earned what John Wood usually earns because Wood is working the whole season.

busa99 likes this.
  13. BigBird

BigBird blah

Last place: 72: Shintaro Ban, +6, $14,112

14. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Well damn...I would have thought much more.

15. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

Volunteers for that duty are going to be harder to come by next time.

16. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Disagree. 5k is a decent chunk of change for not much work.

17. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

He got chosen because of his knowledge of the course. That took years off loops hauling a bag, it didn't happen over night and I wouldn't call that "not much work".

18. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

If he was in such a high demand then he should have sat down and discussed pay. Didn’t do that? Tough cookie.

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Is it more work to help a guy shoot a 65 than it is to help someone shoot 80? I haven't read the story, but if you agree to an amount before the game, that's what you are owed.

R Acree likes this.
  20. BigBird

BigBird blah

Actually less work since he had less swings [emoji23]

Sent from my smatrfone

Potts N Pans likes this.