1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good/best starter motor - '02 7.3 diesel

Discussion in 'General' started by fastfreddie, Aug 17, 2019.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I figure from Ford it'd be about $200+.
    What's in the $100-$200 range?

2. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Get a ford one, it lasted this long.. :D

L8RSK8R likes this.
  3. fastfreddie

Impregnable logic? Where am I? :crackup:

Kinda hopin' not to wait, but thanks. As they say, good things and all that...
    Looks like I'm waitin'.

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

is the stock one rebuildable?? I went through 2-3 starters on my motorhome (used on many gms) before I tired of the reman bs and got a new one. Thank god only 3 bolts and 5 mins to swap it out.

5. fastfreddie

I'm sure it is...want it done yesterday, tho'. :(

Ford might want the core if they have one in stock.

6. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Get one with the best warranty :D I'd go for new over rebuilt, in *most* cases the price doesn't present an issue, and even sometimes the new ones cost less? I'd be willing to bet most of the rebuilt ones from your local parts store come from the same place (Cardone).

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Given that it’s a 17 year old truck, and a Ford...buy two. :D

8. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

9. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Advance Auto Or O’reilley’s and buy their new starter with a lifetime warranty. I’ve had decent lunck with them. The convenience of being able to walk in and get another one if it goes bad is worth the extra money compared to rockauto stuff or even worse Amazon....

ducnut likes this.
  10. james weaver

james weaver Well-Known Member

sounds like a rebuilt . need a good new to start the mighty 7,3. mine fires on a new starter. had sme problem with a rebuilt

11. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Thanks James! Can you please be a little more specific in your recommendation? What do you have? :)

12. james weaver

james weaver Well-Known Member

96 f 350 . tried two rebuilts before the new ford starter . its a 7.3 and it just seems to spin it much faster.

Yzasserina likes this.
  13. fastfreddie

Call Ford, leave message.

Call NAPA, new NippoDenso $293, new Motorcraft $263, re-man Motorcraft $210-ish. Motorcraft, lifetime warranty on both units. $110 core.
    NAPA has one of the Motorcrafts.
    Hang up.

Ford calls, don't have one, it's $615.
    Uhhh, thank you. Goodbye.

Yanked the starter, it's an aftermarket, not planetary. It was literally coming apart...for how long, who knows? Sometimes, we're lucky...just got back from three weeks on the road.

I'll get the driveway clear of the disabled truck and stranded trailer so I can yank wheels on the Jeeps...much needed brake maintenance, tire rotation and prep for inspections.
    Sucks it's 90°+ and humid - like beads of sweat rollin' down the crack of your ass just for standin'...and my Powertank is empty. :rolleyes:
    Love life's little things. :crackup:

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Briggs and Stratton.

15. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Yeah, but that shit gets frustrating sometimes too. For years I bought whatever rotors/hubs/calipers were the cheapest with a multi-year warranty for my old GMC 1500. Changing them out every damn year got old....

16. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

It’s a lot less frustrating than buying it off rockauto and it being bad and having to wait for a replacement to show up.

Like I said, I’ve had decent luck out of the new starters from Advance Auto and O’Reillys Auto. I don’t sale a ton of them but put on 15-20 a year probably and haven’t had any issues out of them.

Brake parts are a different story. I use Advances Gold line brake pads and their painted rotors and have had very few problems with them.
    I refuse to use their silver or the cheaper line though.