1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gold flakes in oil?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by krash, Oct 11, 2009.

1. krash

krash Well-Known Member

I know its normal to see metal flakes in your oil during an oil change, however today when I changed my oil, I saw a lot of gold flakes, and a coulple of very tiny gold splinters. I don't ever remember seeing gold, so now I am all worried it could be bearings, but hoping maybe its just tranny gears or something.

The bike is an 07 600rr, just shy of 10K miles. I ride it on the street and the track, and change the oil regularly, but not necessarily after every track weekend like some do.

fwiw, I used to be really bad about missing shifts, but haven't had that problem for most of this season.

No unusual noises, maybe a little ticking in the top end, but I think every Honda bike I have ever owned had that.

any thoughts?

2. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Sure it was gold and not brass?

3. krash

krash Well-Known Member

just gold colored, in oil. could very well have been brass.

4. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Gold is not normal. Gold is bearing material.

5. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

crank going?

6. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Answer.

Tear it down now - if you don't do it now, you'll just have to in a week when it starts making all sorts of horrible noises.

7. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

8. wera_123

wera_123 Well-Known Member

"when those rivers go a bindin' those nuggets you'll be findin'" ......funnier after a 12-pack
    Send motor to Rick and he will replace the gold.:up:

9. krash

krash Well-Known Member

Any ideas on what it could be? top or bottom end?

If tearing it down is the next step, I may look for someone with more experience than myself to tear it down. I know my way around a shop fairly well, but I have never cracked open a high reving I4, and close tolerances and precision just isnt one of my strong points.

10. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Well, the bearings are in the bottom end.

If that piece of info was new, I'd recommend taking it to a professional. Have them pull the oil pan first and take a look. You may have caught it early enough to limit parts damage.

11. PAzYearazzUP

PAzYearazzUP Banned

Do not run the bike. Tear it down. You know your way around a shop, just attempt it. Parts are parts. Match the same bearing off the case to crank. We have experts here for your rebuilding pleasure.

Keep this thread open and rebuild it. Anyway, what is a, "high reving 14?"

12. krash

krash Well-Known Member

I am definatly not an engine builder, although I do know the crank bearings are in the bottom:rolleyes: I was thinking maybe bearings up around the cam?

I guess I could easily drop the oil pan and look for scoring and damage on the bottom of the crank.

13. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

If the bearings are down to brass, the rod journals are probably less than round as well...not to mention the oil pump internals and oil cooler being loaded with flakes.

14. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Would that generally mean a new crank?

15. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I suspect you could have the crank reworked if it's not broken or too badly damaged.

Would seem to me it's the same weld up and recut process they used to change the stroke on my 600RR crank.

16. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Always gotta do something trick eh? :)

Thanks for the info (TFTI ?)

17. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Not neccessarliy trick but useful to make the bike fit a specific class.

18. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

If you are going to race it, I would not recommend having a damaged crank repaired, put a new one in. Every time I've ever repaired one, it never lasted as long on the race track. For street use, it's commonly done.

Just my experience.

19. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

Submerged arc welded cranks are not reccomended for race applications...at least the guys that do the service say it's not a good idea...
    Just buy a fresh stolen crank off e-pay.:up: