1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gilles Chain Adjusters/Lifters

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Revenant.Eagle, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Revenant.Eagle

Revenant.Eagle What turn was it?

Anyone use these? I did some searching and saw some posts that said they had problems, but not exactly what problems people were having. I don't want to have the adjuster back out and have my chain go flying off the sprocket mid-corner.

I'm happy with my rearsets from them, and was surprised to see bad reviews for Gilles.

2. rhinorsv

rhinorsv Well-Known Member

gilles

that very thing happened to me...quite a spectacular highside ensued...

i'd pass on them...a little time with a digital set of calipers and stock is a lot safer IMO...

They are trick though! very purty..

3. Harp

Harp Well-Known Member

Really? I've never had problem with mine...have run them for going on 3 years now on two different bikes. Anything I should keep an eye on?

4. rhinorsv

rhinorsv Well-Known Member

Gilles

Don't know man...Mine were installed correct, actually checked right before the session...

Everything looked a-OK after it happened i decided to eliminate a variable...

5. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

I've seen them fail on 2 bikes. Stay away.

6. Harp

Harp Well-Known Member

I noticed that they changed their design this year...no more allen-bolt adjustment. I'm thinking I'll take a closer look at mine (original style) for a way to safety wire the adjustment bolt. Thanks for the heads-up.

7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

On GSX-Rs if you don't keep the stock adjuster bolt and lock nut as well it can fail. Gilles revised their instructions and soon pulled the adjuster for 2006+ GSX-Rs due to the high rate of failures. Pass. Harris and Lightech make similar products but I dunno where you would find them.

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168633

Got a link to the new design?

8. Revenant.Eagle

Revenant.Eagle What turn was it?

Yikes! Glad I stayed away, I never actually saw failure pictures until now. These weren't a necessity, but just looked purty :)

9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I looked into the product because I get aggravated when the chain slack tightens up after torquing the axle. I figured this would beat sticking a 10mm wrench between the chain and sprocket:p.

10. silverfox

silverfox Motorcycle Technician

Seen 2 of them that have failed personally.
    Cheap Quality cast items ,Definitely need the Oem bolt to keep them in place.I have a Pvm Quickchange set up for my rear wheel and I can see how beefy it is compared to the Gilles to make sure there are no Failures.I was under the impression that Gilles was a German company someone can correct me if i am wrong but these adjusters have a made in China Feel.there Rearsets are not bad at all its a shame.
    Best left to the posers for the coffee shops. Stick with Oem for racing and track days

11. Harp

Harp Well-Known Member

I primarily like them for the attached lifters. I have a custom-made lightweight rear stand that I use with them. Oh well...

12. akillya

akillya TPL Racing Squadra Corse

I have been using them and loving them for a while now and I have had no problems. Now I am worried!

13. backbone

backbone scarred for life

Gilles = gimmicky.