1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting started in racing?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Nathan02, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Nathan02

Nathan02 Active Member

I'm confused on how to get started and what class I would fall into. I've been to several track days, have my bike 2008 R6 safety wired etc and have taken a school (cornerspeed). So now I get a license and pay per race? What class would a stock no modification R6 fall into? Is there a class specifically for first time racers / rookies cup?

2. Phl218

Phl218 .

you can run the C superstock and C superbike classes.

find a region on the page wera.com and look which of the events have "rs" at the end. that's for race school.
    attend that, participate and don't crash in the mock race and you are ready to race!

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Cornerspeed school works for your license, all you have to do is buy it and show us your certificate. Other than that it's as simple as come on out and go racing. You're legal in the C classes as Phil said and can run up to both B's, Both A's, and F1 - also Senior Superbike if you're over 40.

4. Nathan02

Nathan02 Active Member

When you sign up for a race do you get any practice time on that track? And how do they decide the order in which you grid up?

5. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Yes you get practice . Grid is by points.

6. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

You practice the morning of the races, normally two short sessions, then after lunch the races start.

7. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Many racers attend a track day the day before the race event.
    It offers an opportunity to get familiar with the track, and optimize your setup for that track.
    The track day also gets you setup in the pits the day before the event, which means there are less details to take care of on 'race day' morning...

8. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I would highly recommend this. Even with me doing the setup work and my son racing, just showing up the morning of the event and getting two quick practices, prior to racing, was a pretty hard thing to pull off.

If you can't initially justify/afford to do it, that is fine. During your novice years, exact setup and fighting for tenths on the track is a bit less important. Remember to have fun.

9. BlackRR

BlackRR Well-Known Member

Of the mentioned classes which would you say is best for first timers? Don't see me being able to run more than 4 races a weekend to begin with or 2 per day. Oh and over 40

Tostitos likes this.
  10. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Senior MW and CSS or bss. Most bikes in bss are 600s anyway

BlackRR likes this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep.

BlackRR likes this.