1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting leathers repaired / improved / altered

Discussion in 'General' started by mattology, Feb 21, 2020.

1. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

I had a little off yesterday which resulted in when landing, my knee portion of my Dainese leathers slid and rotated to the 'flexible stretch' portion of my leathers, and wore through, skinning up my knee.

1) Should the leathers be tighter around my knee to prevent this?
    2) Who can/should I send them off to get repaired? I would like to see about the possibility of adding additional leather around that area if possible, replacing some of the stretch fabric which i'm not sure I need in that area.

3) yes, I know i'm an idiot and whiskey throttled it too hard, LOL. lesson learned :)

2. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

The only correct answer is Barnacle Bill.

cav115, Boman Forklift, 83BSA and 4 others like this.
  3. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

If your suit has cheap mesh , check to see if Barnacle Bill will replace it with KProtect while he has it.
    A*s is the worst for this even in their top of the line suits.

4. Phl218

Phl218 .

he can also add a WERA patch for you + numbers and letters. ;)

5. R/T Performance

R/T Performance Well-Known Member

6. Badger911GT3

Badger911GT3 Well-Known Member

I hope the original poster doesn't mind if I ask whether my leathers should be repaired at this point. I had a low-side at Little Tally last Friday. The stretch material on the arm is a little busted, and the other pic shows where a half centimeter hole wore through the hip.

Attached Files:

7. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Mine looked worse than that. Gave them to Bill this past summer and he made them look like new. Got the WERA patch too:D

[​IMG]

Metalhead and Phl218 like this.
  8. R/T Performance

R/T Performance Well-Known Member

not the worst rash i have seen people ride in worse. really need to just see if you crashed same spot would it wear through? if so get it fixed

Badger911GT3 likes this.
  9. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

That’s a proper pit set up ... four empty beer bottles and a bottle of bourbon on stand by :D

Gino230 likes this.
  10. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I'm from Kentucky...its state law that we carry Bourbon wherever we go:D

11. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Don't forget the empty chardonnay glass down there on the left....This looks like my kinda racing! :crackup:

12. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

13. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

yes, you leathers should fit snug around the elbows and knees.. or you risk what happened to you. they roll, and you end up with knee or elbow with just a thin layer of leather between the pavement.
    some people are built to fit an off the rack suit, but even then, many i see need some alteration to fit snug. Is it a little more money to do this? for sure. but it's worth it. I've been doing this for 16 years, and SYED leathers in Orlando builds my suits, and does alterations/repairs.. they've like BB, been at this for years (since 1983).

14. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I will second Anthony's. I have had great service from Barnacle Bill, but he didn't have much experience with airbag suits. Anthony's is a Dianese dealer and have done extensive work on the airbag suits.