1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting back into it and starting my son out ??

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Paul Estes, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Paul Estes

Paul Estes New Member

Hey guys have a few questions that I’m sure you can help me with ..

1st.. 39yr old dad raced MX for 32 years and raced some road bikes with WERA back in the mid 2000s . Did my school with Ed Bargy and played with a r6 the following year or so . My question is for me to start back do I need to start fresh and take another school ??

2nd.. my 15yr old has been racing MX since about 10 and is a safe intermediate rider ( a little too safe doesn’t care for jumps lol ).. My question is I’ve read several post from y’all recommending a SV or a 300 and he had talked about a grom to get his feet wet and see if he likes it . But my problem is a grom is to close in price to a SV or say a r3 to justify getting one.. is there any plus to starting him on a grom instead of a bigger bike ??

thanks Paul

2. Phl218

Phl218 .

forget about the grom

sv, ninja 250/400 or R3 are way to go

ducnut and Shenanigans like this.
  3. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

You should take school again as some ofvthe flags and stuff have changed. WERA school will suffice. Definitely 300 or 400 for the kid.

ducnut likes this.
  4. Paul Estes

Paul Estes New Member

Thanks y’all .. got some dirt bikes to sell but hoping to get started after the holidays

Shenanigans likes this.
  5. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Search the classifieds and you'll find tons of R3s and 300/400 Ninjas. These bikes are easy on tires so your budget won't get hurt bad. Get a spare set of wheels for rains too.

Or maybe a 10-20 year old 600 something. These are extremely cheap and easy to find. The WERA vintage classes don't have huge grids either so a easy place to have fun. And the good thing is they use radial race tires but the down side is you'll buy more tires. So many options out there but for sure go get orange shirts and drag some knee with WERA.

Phl218 likes this.
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What they all said :) Since you only raced a year you should do the school and it'll be cool to do it with the kid. Ed is still running them or you can do ours on a race weekend. Mini/Grom is a great choice but so are the other bikes suggested.

7. Paul Estes

Paul Estes New Member

I will definitely buy the bikes off the classifieds here . I made the mistake the last time converting my clean title low mile street bike to race bike and lost a ton of money on resale ..

Mongo riding with my kids is the coolest thing I’ve ever done .. he is to the age now that in MX we practice together in the same big bike class .. my youngest is 8 so he has a way to go before we can move him over from Mx

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not too far for minis. Can practice with them now and start racing 50/80 classes at 9.

Paul Estes likes this.