1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Germany Claims the NSA Has Access to Every Windows 8 Computer

Discussion in 'General' started by apexspeed, Oct 28, 2013.

1. apexspeed

apexspeed Well-Known Member

I havnt even tried Win8 yet because it seemed to me M$ was headed in this direction long ago:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Germ...cess-to-Every-Windows-8-Computer-377501.shtml

think I'll stay away from Win8 and anything else offered later on from M$

the toughest part for the PC crowd now though is this Damn UEFI Im wondering how long until non UEFI machines will be unobtainable as new?

gee thanks alot M$.

2. This is totally false. You should delete your thread while you still can.

3. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

I don't think it's far-fetched to believe all modern operating systems allow our data to be compromised with little effort from the outside.

4. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I feel bad for the NSA.

5. caferace

caferace No.

They already knew that.

-jim

6. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

I'm sure someone will be here soon to defend W8. Just a hunch :D

7. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Interesting site. Reminds me of SuperbikePlanet.

That said this isn't the first article I remebered dealing with people afraid of the tpm and secure boot machines. Funny thing that they aren't connected. :)

8. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

That was fast

9. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

I was typing on my phone when you were typing yours out. Please notice I didn't defend Win8. I was laughing at the bad article. Win8 isn't perfect. So why would I act like it is?

10. Phl218

Phl218 .

back doors have been implemented since the invention of back doors

:Poke:

11. :crackup:

It's windows. There's no need to program a back door into it. The users will make it easy enough on their own. "Click here to download Jennifer Anniston nude" oh and you get a free toolbar on Zee Internetten Explorden

12. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

How many machines actually ship with a TPM?

13. Windows machines ? Eventually all

Apple ....None?

14. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Actually, Apple has shipped machines with TPMs. They were one of the first to do so, doing so as part of their transition to Intel CPUs. They now do TPM style tomfoolery in their EFI variant to try and keep OS X from booting on non-Apple branded systems but so far it's been pretty ineffective.

15. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

The weaknesses that the NSA likely exploits and keeps to themselves are in the asymmetric algorithms that are used in DH exchanges, and possibly symmetric encryption exchanges used there after (not really needed if the key exchange is owned). The are protocols and algorithms that are used across all platforms. In reality, OSX has a few weaknesses in its IPsec implementations that I'd rather not have to deal with if I were really concerned about security, specifically the services of integrity and confidentiality.

BTW - I'm talking about what professionals would worry about, not joe blow user who had a shitty dell laptop they got on a clearance sale one time and had a bad experience when they just HAD to see the dancing pigs.

If they have kicked over the major key exchange algos, then I hope they never let it out. The entire innerweb as a vehicle of commerce would grind to a halt.

16. ped

ped Banned

Uhh what's wrong with the government keeping us safe? That's its job. Fucking liberals....

17. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

Quit muddying up my posts with details.

18. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Go read "The Code Book" by Simon Singh. It's a short book of less than 200 pages where each chapter talks about a progressively more difficult code type. They touch on a LOT of what you mention above. They also give you something to de-code at the end of each chapter using the algorithm they discussed in that chapter.

You should find it interesting.

Here's an academic abstract for you: http://www.math.uci.edu/~brusso/freshman6.pdf

19. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Either you are:

Baiting people to get this sent to the dungeon
    You are unaware of the implications of what warrant-less search and seizure can present to all of us.
    Fucking Neo-Con idiot. (we can all play with derogatory labels...)

20. ped

ped Banned

Hey cartman just take your phone off speaker :rolleyes: