1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gen 4 ZX-10R "misfire"

Discussion in 'Tech' started by sdiver, Apr 3, 2017.

1. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Currently a street bike, mint(?) 2011 ZX-10R I picked up with Flash, Dyno Tune of ECU from a reputable shop and Full Akra pipe. 2200 miles on the ODO, sold new from dealership in 2013 and mostly sat in a garage for 4 years. No PCV or Bazzaz.

Background
    When I picked up the bike I noticed the idle wan't great...every couple of seconds it would jump in RPM for a split second. However, it's not unusual for a tuned bike to have a rough idle and something I felt confident I could diagnose and fix. In riding the bike was strong and smooth at all RPM's. I reached out to the tuner about the idle and he insisted it was perfect when he dropped the bike off but agreed to look at it.

Now
    After an hour or so of riding it goes into limp mode and feels/sounds like 3 cylinders. No Error Codes. I can confirm 3 cylinder operation as soon as I get my laser temp gun back from a friend who borrowed it. When it's in this mode, idle is smooth no hunting. Turning bike off then on does not fix the problem. Bike will backfire on occasion.

What I think
    1) Loose connection or corrosion of coils or harness. Recheck and clean, particularly the cylinder I believe is dropping. No signs of corrosion anywhere else, everything looks as new...

2) Spark plugs..some reports of them going out on ZX-10R. Maintenance interval is 7500 miles. While I'm there might as well for $28.

3) Double check fuel supply for cylinder cutting out.

Any insights or advice appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  2. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

For a bike that was sitting, I would get the injectors cleaned.(Not sure what you meant in your no. 3 above). Not much more than New spark plugs.

Proflow is the go to for this.

sdiver and neckbrace like this.
  3. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

I did have a weird spark plug issue on my Gen 4 ZX-10. The symptoms started out like you're describing and then it eventually dropped a cylinder. I spent a full day checking all the electrical connections and components...ended up just being a failed spark plug.

sdiver likes this.
  4. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Thanks Derek, I was hoping you might have some insight.

5. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Spark plug I think. Changed them out, switched coils around, cleaned all cylinder specific connectors and I no longer have a gen 4 zx7r :D

Steeltoe and DDK732 like this.