1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garage door opener experts

Discussion in 'General' started by Jon Wilkens, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

I have a Chamberlain Liftmaster Professional 1/3hp door opener.

All of a sudden it starts constantly clicking and no longer responds to commands from remote or door button. Light is flashing with clicks (that are very fast) as does the door button. I've unplugged it and plugged it back in, and that stopped the clicking but still inop. I get on ladder, and I can hear the clicking still happening real softly but no light flashing. I go inside for a minute and come back out and now it's clicking loudly again with light flashing. I've checked the safety sensors and the lights are on them as they should be...and also made sure they are cleaned off and clear of obstructions.

I am no garage door expert...just curious if it's the board that is toast? There is a capacitor, but appears to be intact with no burns or bulges. I have an identical one in the next bay, so will swap out caps to see if that changes it.

Who knows about these things?

2. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

With some sensors, the lights come on when there’s an issue. Make sure they are aligned properly.

3. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Disconnect the door and see if it works unloaded. Check the wiring to the sensors to make sure one isn't chafed/broken (actually happened to me once) , look up youtube videos on said subject :D

4. Jeff McKinney

Jeff McKinney Well-Known Member

Sensor circuit issue or bad logic board.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  5. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Ours clicks like that when something interrupts the safety beam or when the door resists movement. Check to make sure that the safety beams aren't out of alignment or blocked and then operate door by hand and see how it feels.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, the clicks I think are actually the bulbs being turned on and off.

7. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Probably the relay. Ours flashes 5 or 6 times after an interupt of the beam

8. Jon Wilkens

Identical unit right next to it and they are lit up the same.

9. Jon Wilkens

Makes zero difference if door connected or not. You tube has not been of any help...nothing matches what mine is doing.

10. Jon Wilkens

Both lights are beams are good, identical to the other bay. Door operates by hand no problem at all. The clicks are very fast, loud and quiet with no pattern.

11. Jon Wilkens

This is what I am leaning towards...the board is bad. Nothing on it appears to be bad and nothing loose component wise.

12. Jon Wilkens

This has no pattern, and continuously clicks, sometimes loud sometimes faintly. When the beam interrupt occurs it's a certain number of clicks and pattern, nothing like what is happening at the moment.

13. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Haints. :D

Razr and Sabre699 like this.
  14. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

I agree on the light beams. Compare the voltage on the drive unit.
    Also suggest that some of the drive units have plastic drive components. Remove power, remove the cover, reconnect power. See if you can see any of the drive mechanism jumping on the shafts.

15. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

My Chamberlain stripped the main plastic drive gear a while back. Parts are cheap and easy to replace. Open up the cover and have a look.

16. Doorman

Doorman Member

Like mentioned above the gears in the head unit are plastic and wear down with age or from an unbalanced door.
    If you open it up(unplugged of coarse) will probably find a pile of white plastic shavings. Can order gear kits from flea bay and fix under an hour, you got this!

17. Jon Wilkens

It was the main board. Nothing mechanical at all if you read the problem. We swapped out the unit only with our other one...worked just fine, swapped back to original and same issue with it clicking and not responding. Went and bought new one and left the sensors and it's wiring intact, as well as the track and drive chain....only swapped in the unit itself...worked like a champ. Problem solved. Thanks for the insight.

Sabre699 likes this.