1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gamers - FPS (specifically COD Modern Warfare - Remastered)

Discussion in 'General' started by pefrey, Jan 30, 2019.

1. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

I am pretty new to online gaming and playing COD (PS4) , and getting my arse handed to me. I have a K/D ratio of .31 after 208 games. What I find amazing is how fast and skilled the other players are. I watch the "death cam" of my demise and it baffles me how fast other players can sight me in and dispatch me. Not only that, but they seem to easily see me from a long way off.

My internet (using a LAN cable) is plenty fast enough so, ssuming I am not a complete gaming spaz, will I benefit from a 4K gaming monitor with a 1ms lag? Presently I am using a regular 1920 x 1080 60Hz monitor.

2. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

Barring a hack or cheat, it has a lot to do with map awareness. They are anticipating where other players will be based off of experience, knowledge of choke points and spawn points, visual indications of where a teammate has died, etc. Players with headphones can pickup on some of the audible cues a little better as well.

3. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

Agreed, map awareness is an advantage. Yes to the headphones as well, a friend of mine says he can hear footsteps near him. I don't mind getting wasted by superior skill, but if I can narrow the gap created by superior equipment (if that's a contributing factor which is basically my question) it would make online play a little more enjoyable.

4. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

There's a pretty decent learning curve to a game like that. A lot of muscle memory to build up and a lot of people who have played a LOT more than you.

Don't think the monitor would be the difference maker. But nothing wrong with better gear :D

X3 on headphones. That can actually make a decent difference once you get used to the audio cues.

5. ineedanap

ineedanap Well-Known Member

Different game...but I had the same issue when I got an Xbox last year and started playing Destiny 2. I'm a 42 year old guy that hadn't played in years.

I'd be lucky to get a couple kills per game, and guys with clever names like 420forlife or blazen'oneup or whatever would have 20 or 30. I'd spend hours yelling obscenities at my TV.

The big game changer for me was to figure out the weapons that were available. I would usually just run straight at someone and shoot because I suck and have no skill. Once I figured out what primary automatic weapon had the most damage per second, and what backup weapon to use if that strategy wasn't panning out, it was a whole different outcome. Like last to first kind of thing.

6. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

Play free for all for a bit. And headphones help!

7. mram0256

mram0256 Member

Play on a smaller tv. That may help you a little, or a lot. 4K tv isn’t going to help, it’s just visuals. You sound like you may not benefit from input lag (1ms) at your current stage, but it does help in the grand scheme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

...or if you're simply playing against a slew of autistic savants that do nothing but play online video game 12 hours a day.

9. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I haven’t played a FPS in years but I had the same complaint when I did. I’m not trying to be a professional gamer and don’t plan to dedicate a huge percentage of my life to building up to even “adequate”. Do any of those games have a skills based rating where they lump similar players into matches?

BigBird likes this.
  10. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

I'm completely hopeless at things like this. The only video game we have at home is Tourist Trophy on an old Playstation 1 or 2. At my last job, about a dozen people would play call of duty at lunchtime. They'd always want me to play but I was so unbelievably bad it it my team mates would get mad at me :crackup:I'd have the wrong weapons, run the wrong way, shoot at the wrong people, well, when I could find the gun and the right button to press, not throw smoke grenades etc lol. There were two guys that would rage quit all the time, even without me, I was just extra rage fuel when I joined. People get loopy over these games lol.

Sorry, no advice, just thought this might make you feel a bit better :D

11. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Dude that game has been out for what, 10 years now? So they re-released it with updated graphics, but those like me that have a ton of hours playing it online on the PS3/360 platform already have a ten fold advantage on you.

Like you going to a track you've never been to before, and I have 10,000 laps around it. And I'm just flat out a faster rider to boot. You don't really stand a chance. LOL

You can buy a 4k monitor, that's like buying Ohlins FGRT forks because you think it'll help get you below a 1:50 lap time at Barber.

12. drewthere

drewthere Well-Known Member

mram0256 likes this.
  13. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

It's like riding a motorcycle, the more practice you have the better you get. I used to play a ton of FPS on the PC and was an animal with keyboard and mouse. Switched to console gaming and it took me a little bit to get proficient with a controller.

It all came down to muscle memory, knowing how the game reacted to control inputs and learning the map.... Hmmm.... Sounds alot like motorcycle racing.:D

14. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

60hz is a little slow for gaming. See if your TV has a game mode or get at least a 120hz. 4k could help. Problem is, you're probably playing against 10 year olds high on Red Bull and there is no way your nervous system is going to be able to challenge that :crackup:. I've been playing FPS since Wolfenstein and I've basically given up PvP because I got sick of getting my arse kicked.

15. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

For sure it's a lot of muscle memory and learning maps. I didn't play for almost a year and jumped right back on and was kicking assets after a game or two.

16. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I would say it is all about practice (like most things is life)
    I use to play a lot of Counter Strike back in the day and still can be on top of charts when playing today. Not too long ago I tried play Rainbow Six Siege and PUBG and I get smoked by guys I cant even see.

JJJerry likes this.
  17. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

This is why I don’t play online. I have a life, and have zero intention of spending any sort of amount of time on the game to get good at it.

I wanna turn it on, kill an hour or two and shit it off for a few weeks. Hence why I only play single player storylines.

BigBird and cha0s#242 like this.
  18. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

I haven't played COD in awhile but it's all about watching the UAV/radar and listening. No shit a good set of headphones and learning what certain areas of the map sounds like when people run over it is crucial if you want to be good. I used to play LOTS of COD and besides that learning how to utilize the autoaim feature is great. It's built in, everyone has it. If you are close enough to a target when you snap down sight it will auto lock on then it's up t you to track them. I have a habit of buying and selling consoles and TVs lol

19. swiest152

swiest152 Zoran's headache

Consistent FPS and low ping is huge. I only play multiplayer games. ( Not COD)

Also, make sure your sensitivity is idea for you. play around with it faster and slower and see which one fits you better. I only game on PC, but my sensitivity depends on the game.

If you can't get kills in COD you're not going to get kills in any game. :)

dtalbott likes this.
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

All this is why I never play online with other peeps. I've spent a lot of the break playing Witcher and enjoyed it but after maybe one more day this weekend I won't fire up a game for another year or two.