1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FZR400 guys: F3 rad v. FZR60 rad

Discussion in 'Tech' started by (diet)DrThunder, Apr 20, 2005.

1. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

I don't actually own a torque wrench...any of you guys gonna have one with you at Cycle Jam? It looks like my motor will be done on Monday evening, so that means I'll be running it under load for the first time at the track (gulp), and I'll have to re-torque.

2. Scott McKee

Scott McKee FZR crasher

I'll be there, and will have my torque wrench. You are more than welcome to borrow it. You can find me in Tech in the morning, ask for Scott. I'll be in the same boat since my motor isn't going to be together till Saturday.

See you at the Jam.

Scott

3. Motomeister13

Motomeister13 Well-Known Member

Ditto

I wont be there til Friday night, but my trailer will be there Thursday AM attached to roomies truck. You are welcome to use what you need. Shoot me an email, I will tell you how to find us.

Afterall, I owe you for that total loss sys!!!!!!, oh, and the nice radiator! Nice wrap job. You should work for UPS :D

Rich
    :p

4. Motomeister13

Oh, forgot!!!

Happy to have one more 400 there!!

That makes 4 that I know of. :clap:

Sure wish we had a v6 race to run. :rolleyes:

Woo Hoo, going to cycle jam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rich

5. (diet)DrThunder

I just hope my motor comes together in time...I might take you up on your offer to bring a spare with you :)

...and glad you like the stuff.

6. Motomeister13

Its 6 feet from the trailer

just let me know.

Rich

7. Team Serpent

Team Serpent Jason Temme #86 WERA Lifetime Member

Dave,

so what did you find with the cylinder w/o compression?

8. (diet)DrThunder

I didn't find anything yet. The motor is allegedly being taken apart this morning. It was removed from teh frame last night, and my new COmetic head gasket will be at my house this afternoon. I should know what's what by Saturday morning...

...and thanks Moto :)

9. Motomeister13

sooo....

I just got home from a weekend out of town...

What is the skinny Dave?????

Is it runnin? is it is it?

Rich

10. (diet)DrThunder

Re: sooo....

Clicky

Oh...how much trouble would it be for you to bring that motor? Just in case... :D

11. fzrkidd

fzrkidd Well-Known Member

I'll have a torque wrench with me as well. I'll be there Thursday. It is a great idea, Thank you Jason! I just did mine yesterday and found 2 that were loose! I'll have the special tool with me as well!

12. Team Serpent

Glad to help

Dr. Diet,

there was someone who posted about a floating sleeve in another thread. I also had that problem once, you may want to have the person machining the cylinder make sure the sleeves are fully seated before decking just to cover all possibilities.

13. (diet)DrThunder

Ok, I got the motor back together with the totally stock head...had .002" taken off of it to clean it up, and .014" to flatten the cyl. The COmetic head gasket is .017" thicker than stock, so this worked out perfectly.

Result: the lowest operating temperature I'd ever seen since I got the bike was 205f. All weekend at Cycle Jam, the hottest it ever got was 163f.

:D

For those of you keeping track at home, this is what we call a big difference. My conclusion is that the head gasket had been blown since before I got the bike...I think Lee was riding aroud with it leaking too.

Now that it has a non-valve jobbed head, it needs to be jetted, but it's running, and running cool.

Thanks everyone!

14. Ryan Nelson

Ryan Nelson Well-Known Member

You looked good out there, Thunder! Congrats are also in order!

15. Team Serpent

That's great Dave! Glad everything worked out!

Just out of curiosity:

Did the original head end up having a problem?

If so, was it the reason for no compression in that one cylinder?

Have you re-torqued the head since the re-assembly / break in?

Don't mean to be a party pooper but I'm a little worried about how hot that motor has gotten in the past and how reliable the bottom end will be for you.

16. (diet)DrThunder

I will be bringing the bike back to the guy who assembled the motor this week for a valve clearance check, head bolt re-torquing, etc.

I haven't had the $$ or time to have the other head disassebled to check for a problem, but I'm guessing that it does. At Nashville, we tried to fill the cyl. w. compressed air, adn it all blew out the exhaust.

RE: the bottom end...you're not being a party pooper. It got up to 250 once, briefly, and the hottest it ever got aside from that was 215 or so. The bottom end 'sounds' tight even wen it's cold, so I'm hoping it's good. I'll be putting a completely fresh motor in it at the end of the season when I sell the bike, so maybe the new owner will take it apart adn tell us what condition it's in.

Ryan, thanks alot! I really appreciate the encouragement. I found out that I have a long way to go with regard to racecraft. I got to a point where I cound confidently run 46's, and I'm pretty sure I had 45's in me if I could have had a few laps alone to get a rythym. But, I spent the entire weekend in traffic, and I had a really hard time passing the bigger-motored bikes. I was able to get it going a bit better in the second race, but I have work to do before the GNF, that's for sure!

Anyway, as complete race report will be forthcoming.

17. Team Serpent

Cool, was just wondering, if it's a Valley head and can be saved it would be worth looking into.

What are you going to do with it?

18. (diet)DrThunder

Actually, I was planning on selling it. It is a Valley head. I am using the cams though, because at the time I couldn't find the other ones I had...they are just FZR OEM'ers anyway (both pairs). I need to go through boxes adn find the other cams.

Why, wanna buy it? $100 and it's yours. FWIW, the mechanic who assembled the motor couldn't see anything outwardly wrong with the head...no dropped or burned valve or anything like that. Hell, for all I know, there's nothing wrong with it at all...the motor was never over-revved or anything like that.

Oh, I meant to mention...the running-on-3-cyl. thing was a bad coil. When I went to the track this weekend, I did a little bit of break]in running around the paddock. Then I went out for first practice, and it was still running on 3 after 8k or so. I came in, changed the coils and it wa all god all weekend.

19. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I watched Dave race last weekend. It looked like it was all worth it. He looked really good, and he got Cycle Jam wood!

20. LMcCurdy

LMcCurdy Antique

Dave glad it all worked out. Happy to hear the motor wasn't a total wash. About the overheating. If you remember, I told you the bike ran 86-88C at CCS/Barber last year. That's 186-190F in August, and that is normal for most FZRs. If the gasket was blown, I sure didn't see it. Again, I'm sorry it happened.