1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FZR400 guys: F3 rad v. FZR60 rad

Discussion in 'Tech' started by (diet)DrThunder, Apr 20, 2005.

1. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

Had a flashback

FWIW, it made 72.4 @ the rear wheel (Dynojet Model 100, IIRC)with the following setup

13.5:1 Cosworth pistons (machining works of ART)
    stock rods (balanced)
    stock crank (lightened and balanced)
    full-radius valve job (hand lapped valves)
    minor porting (matching and casting flash removal)
    factory (via Yam-USA) CDI box with SILLY redline
    110 octane race gas (can't remember if it was unleaded or not)
    Factory variable ignition pickup
    stock 400 intake cam (not degreed)
    stock 600 exhaust cam (not degreed)
    D&D Exhaust
    Keihin FCR-33s (jetted somewhere around 120s)

I'm sure that if we'd messed around with the cam timing that we could have gotten to 75 at the wheel, no problem.

Passed tech every time and teardown more than a few times.

I'd really like to do this sort of thing again, so anyone in the Seattle area with an FZR400 that needs some wrench help....look me up.

edits: more details

Last edited: May 4, 2005
  2. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

That sounds like a fun motor for not _too_ much dough. Mine is all stock, with Falicon crank and rods w. cryo treatment, and stock carbs. I haven't dyno'd it, but I might like to see what it puts out if my repairs go well.

Wish me luck!

3. RGV 500

It scares me to think of what I used to spend on that thing.....and I'd love to have it back

4. (diet)DrThunder

Well, aside from this one specific issue I'm dealing with, I think I have one of the best sorted Fizzers around, and it will be for sale at the end of the season, with mountains of spares, including a motor. It's Lee's old bike, and as suck, it's got pretty much the best of everything...SPA tach, cross-mount damper, Thermosman forks, 90-model brakes, etc. etc.

If you're intereseted, PM me, and I'll let know know details, as well as a price (I haven't thought up one yet).

5. RGV 500

Lets see how this new house thing shakes out at my end and revisit this at the end of the season.

May have to sell the rally car and go back to racing bikes....so I better stick to my diet....OUCH

6. fzrkidd

fzrkidd Well-Known Member

Dear Thunder

I had never seen a camshaft before I bought my bike late in 2003. Durring the 04 season (my first season racing), I learned more and more about it as I had my share of over heating and head gasket problems. At the GNF last year I spun a rod bearing. It took a little encouragement, a shop manual, and someone I could call every day, but I tore it down and rebuilt it on my own. You can do it!
    I have done a track day on it, and it runs great! Knock on wood it will be reliable.
    Mr. Temme, thanks for the head torque thought, I better check that. How long do you typically run it before checking?

7. (diet)DrThunder

Diet? Hell, I'm 300 pounds with gear! :)

I was 320 w/o gear when I raced at Nashville last year (my first race)...yuck. I'm dieting myself...down to about 280 right now, and on my way to 240 or so by the end of the summer I hope.

Anyway, I'm planning on running the bike through this season, so no problem re: waiting until then to think about things. I only mentioned it because you said you wish you had yours back :)

8. Team Serpent

Team Serpent Jason Temme #86 WERA Lifetime Member

Re: Dear Thunder

Ussually after a rebuild I would give it a few heat cycles and re-torque, and then check it again after the first track or race weekend on the new motor.

After that it shouldn't lossen up but I would always re-check it for safe measure if I was going in to check valve clearances or something like that.

Its most critical on a fresh rebuild because things (like cylider studs) move and stretch when they go through those first heat cycles.

9. (diet)DrThunder

Jason, when I re-torque the head, do I loosen each fastener, and then tighten to spec, or do I just tighten from wherever the fasteners are at?

Thanks!

10. Team Serpent

Holly moly! with gear you weight as much as my whole FZR!

No wonder that poor little motor poped it's top :D

11. (diet)DrThunder

Ya I know...I'm expecting a visit from the ASPCFZRs any day now :D

12. Team Serpent

technically you always should lossen to re-torque but for this application I always check to see if they move from where they were. If they move I lossen and re-torque.

Do it one at a time though, don't lossen everything and then re-torque.

Last edited: May 4, 2005
  13. LMcCurdy

LMcCurdy Antique

14. (diet)DrThunder

Ya I saw that...pretty cool, that. DO you think it might draw attention that a 400 is wheelying out of corners with a 300 pound rider aboard?

Nah..... :D

15. RGV 500

DAMN.....I thought I had some really silly ideas of what to do to an FZR400.

That guy takes silly to a brand new universe

It would be entertaining, that much is certain

16. fzrkidd

does anyone know what size allen wrench it takes to torque the head down? are they 6mm?
    is it a 10mm or 12mm socket that fits the outside?

17. Motomeister13

Motomeister13 Well-Known Member

The outside is round

Almost sure it is a 5mm, but could be a 6.

Rich

:p

18. Scott McKee

Scott McKee FZR crasher

19. fzrkidd

Thanks guys! Now that you mention it the outside is round isn't it!:rolleyes:

20. Scott McKee

Scott McKee FZR crasher