1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FZR400 - 520 Chain Overkill?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by BlueR32, Jun 17, 2020.

1. BlueR32

BlueR32 Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    I am interested to hear what chain pitch folks are recommending for FZR400 track use. I fitted a 520 o-ring chain & sprockets but I am concerned that it might be overkill for a 50hp bike. It is heavier and feels like it has more rolling resistance than the 428 I have on my road-only FZR400.
    Thoughts?

2. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

428........even on the race 400. Never an issue

BlueR32 likes this.
  3. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

The weight difference really depends on the particular chain model. I've found 428 chains that are heavier than some 520 chains. Consider a non o ring chain for either size. They have less frictional resistance but more maintenance and less life. This is the route I went with on my 300 Ninja because I was endurance racing and wasn't willing to risk breaking a 415 chain and the 428 size wasn't enough to go through the hassle of trying to find sprockets.

BlueR32 likes this.
  4. ducatiracer

ducatiracer Member

I used lightweight 520 chain on my FZ 400 superbike but, to be fair, it had over 70 hp at the rear wheel. Never broke or wore out the chain though.

MIchael

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

i cant remember which longtime poster here had made an electric chain dyno but the difference between oring-non oring was only a few watts when the chains were at operating temp.

VFR#52 likes this.
  6. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

What is the availability of 428 sprockets these days? Last I looked, not many 428 oring chains out there, maybe I'm missing then though. I always had 520 with a tz wheel though. Used a non oring a few times but saw nothing to be gained with the slightly lower, on the stand, drag.

7. BlueR32

BlueR32 Well-Known Member

JT Sprockets for 428 readily available at least for the FZR400

Brad likes this.
  8. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

BlueR32 and TurboBlew like this.