1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Full Metal Jacket

Discussion in 'General' started by Rob P, Mar 14, 2015.

1. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

That's effed up. There are a multitude of reasons why I am 100% in favor of an all volunteer armed forces. Not the least of which is I wanna know that dude beside me is all-in and has my back.

2. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

My pop said he would never forget the face of his D.I.
    I guess because it was always a nose to nose 1 sided conversation:D

3. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

You missed my point. The draftees (about 20% of the Marines in his basic training unit) got DOUBLE the punishment from the DIs and staff vs. the volunteers. They actually labeled them on day one, and went out of their way to make their life in Basic a living Hell.

Can't speak for all DIs, just what he saw in 67.

Funny thing, my dad (and most of the volunteers) where there cause they knew their draft number was coming, and didn't have the money/brains for college, or the connections to get in the Guard. He thought at least he may have some say in what he does if he volunteers, which ended being true. Got sent to weather school rather than infantry. St. Hartman wasn't too thrilled about that; picture the scene were Pvt. Joker gets assigned journalism school. :D

So in a sense, most of the guys were draftees.

4. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Oh, I think I got what you were saying, I just don't agree with that mindset of being harder on draftees. Those draftee guys already don't wanna be there. Fuckin' with them harder just seems like rubbing salt in the wound. I can't really say all I wanna say here without dungeoning up the post, so I'll hush. :tut:

5. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

It'll either harden them the fuck up or break them. Better to break stateside, than in country.

6. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Only 20% were drafted?

I'm surprised the number was that low. I would have thought it was about 80%, especially in 67.

7. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I firmly believe that 2-3 years of mandatory military service for all able-bodied Americans would completely change the state of our nation for the better.

I realize it's a pipe-dream that would never fly in America, but there is just so much to be gained by a society full of people who have, at some point in their lives, all been treated like dog-shit, and then built back into productive and effective members of a unit.

To get back to the move quotes, "I AM NOT PREJUDICED. I DO NOT DISCRIMINATE AGAINS (insert string of racially insensitive terms) - IN MY EYES, YOU ARE ALL EQUALLY WORTHLESS!"

8. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

"A JELLY DOUGHNUT?!?!?!?!?" :crackup: :clap: :beer: :bow:

FMJ and Clockwork Orange are two of my favorite films, Kubrick ROCKS!! :up:

9. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Yea mine too…2001 was pretty good also.

10. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

"I'm singin' in the rain..."

11. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'd bet that was just the Marines.

13. dantheman

dantheman Yeah, it hurt.....

"Holy shit. What the F*%K is that? An unlocked FOOT LOCKER? Private Pyle you know I hate unlocked foot lockers don't you? If it wasn't for dumb asses like you their wouldn't be any thievery! Well let's see if anything's missing!"

14. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

Some statistics:

Total draftees (1965-73): 1,728,344.

Actually served in Vietnam 38%. (i find that to be rather low)

Marine Corps Draft: 42,633

So yea, I would say Marine corps drafting was minimal vs. the army.

The way my father explained it, you knew when you were getting drafted based on your Selective Service number. The 'theory' was that my signed up, you at least have a chance at getting training for a non-combat role. If you know your number is up (as in my dad's case) it's best to volunteer.

Also note, a lot of people choose service over jail time.

I remember talking about the 2nd gulf war when it was going on, had my 12 year old step son and his friend in the back. After a while, they were complaining about our front-seat conversation, saying that this whole war talk was boring. I stopped the car and quickly reminded them that there still is a selective service in place, and at age 18, both of them can easily be forced into this war if thing start going really bad.

Should have seen the looks on their faces :D

15. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

We need a sequel that somehow seamlessly integrates Full Metal Jacket and Super Troopers.

16. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

:stupid:

17. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I believe that I spoke on this on a similar thread. I never liked this quote much. And, during my service, the guys that had their stuff stolen were subject to greater punishment than the thieves. Often, the thieves were not even pursued.

18. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Believe it or not, the French translation of that movie is just as funny as the original version. Kubrick, being the ultimate control freak he was, supervised the overdubbing himself.

19. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

DROOGS!!! :up:

20. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Guy I work with's son graduated from Parris Island 2 weeks ago.
    First thing he mentioned was "Throat punch Thursdays". :crackup:
    He made it through though!