1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuel System Refresh

Discussion in 'Tech' started by biker, May 28, 2019.

1. biker

biker Well-Known Member

To anyone willing to share thoughts:

2005 GSXR 1000 has been sitting for a few years. Turns over just fine but idles low and pretty rough, stays rough with revs and then bogs. I want to go through the fuel system thoroughly- first checking the fuel pump and filters, any rust in the tank, then check fuel pressure at the rail. Then I would pull the rail off with the injectors, prime the pump, and see if any injectors are leaking or stuck open, and then crank it to make sure they all have a good spray. And if nothing else seafoam has done wonders for me. Also just changed out the plugs.

Does anyone have a fuel system maintenance routine? Trying to get it running well for a track day in a few weeks. Thanks!

2. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Send the injectors out to get cleaned and tested, drain the fuel tank and check the fuel strainer and/or replace it. If the fuel isnt really varnished i wouldnt worry too much about the rest unless you see some serious deposit built up somewhere.

3. biker

biker Well-Known Member

Ok thanks. The local guy I used to bring my injectors to shut down this past year so gotta find another. I have the strainer ready to go in

4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Pull the throttle body off and yank all 8 injectors out and send them out to Greg.

http://www.proflowtech.com

5. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Yeah, send the injectors to Greg.

6. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

first things first.. gotta get that old gas out of there. Bike may run great with just fresh gas. As you said, inspect carefully for rust in the tank. I'd pull the gsxr fuel pump apart (careful to not rip the little wires that will connect 2 halves) and spray out the filter sock.
    No matter how well you flush the fuel rain, or get injectors serviced.. if the tank is rusty, you will create problems immediately.

Thanks guys.. i'm still sort of involved, but sold my half of the bus to Jim, my long time business partner with proflow. He's done nearly all the injector service throughout all the years anyway, and builds my race engines. He will continue doing a great job.
    Time for more riding for me :)

7. biker

biker Well-Known Member

Just to close this thought- the fuel system was fine. The tps was a fair amount off and readjusting fixed it. I've found that if the bike runs fine at idle and low rpm but cant clear a certain rpm it is fuel pump related, and if one header/plug is hot its that fuel injector. I checked my plugs and they were dark, so I figured something must be telling the ecm to throw too much fuel. After checking plugs and coils, and then ruling out ap, map, and IAT sensors, I checked tps which had a surprisingly significant effect on fueling. Thanks all, will go to the above when I need to do injectors.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  8. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

This... and don’t waste your money on the snake oil sea foam.