1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fuel jug replacement o-ring size?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Tristan, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I have a few old fuel jugs that all leak to some degree... I'm guessing Viton is the right material- what size?

2. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

What brand? VP?

3. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

Same size as the one that came off it ;) Had to.

4. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

We love the little details around here. Same as we get on the phone on a daily basis. "did you tow my car?" I dunno, let me rub my magic 8 ball. :D

5. Tristan

They're not VP jugs, don't remember what brand. I thought they were pretty universal/standard sized.

6. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

I've seen jugs with at least 2 different thicknesses of O-Rings and some with square seals, no idea on size but probably best to pull one and measure it or take it with you if buying at a local place.

7. Tristan

Pretty hard to get an accurate measurement on a floppy ring that big, plus it's old so may be stretched/shrunk.

8. The

The Baddest Mofo in Town

Probably easier to just measure the o-ring than asking the internet to guess the size required for the unknown brand of gas jug.

9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

10. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I'd get a large. I think the XL might be just a little too big unless it is not pre-shrunk , in which case it might be just right once it gets wet and dried out again, unless the gas can is made in China and uses a non-standard o-ring. In that case a new can is less than buying a non-standard but pre-fitted seal.

11. Tristan

12. The

The Baddest Mofo in Town

Buy the jug and cap together. I have the 5 gal VP and the 2 gal one from Cycle Gear. While the caps look the same size and will screw on to the other, they leak when you tip them to pour. Save yourself some hassle and buy a matched set.