1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front Axle Safety Wiring (04 R1)

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by r1madman, Jan 16, 2018.

1. r1madman

r1madman Well-Known Member

Read back on some old posts where the flush fit front axle was required to be safety wired on both ends (hex end and nut end.) Is this still a requirement and if so what's the best way to accomplish this? Follow the old SV650 examples (drill into the fork lower, then into the axle...etc?)
    Is a clip allowed to be used on this?
    Anyone still rocking one of these "vintage" sex machines care to send some pics my way on any other safety wiring tips I would be MOST appreciative.
    Thanks everyone

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. javyday

javyday Well-Known Member

You only have to wire the nut. A clip is allowed

r1madman likes this.
  3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

are they allens for the axle pinch bolts?

4. One2

One2 Well-Known Member

Yes

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

TurboBlew likes this.
  5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

wire up some spring clips as it will make changing the tire at the track much easier! :D

6. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

Do the always look this perfect?

I torque them once then drill a hole straight through both bolts and run a clip through them. Far easier IMO

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  7. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

I run two clips safety wired together. Keeps everything pretty tight and doesn't require any cutting to remove.

Attached Files:

Kyle Brosius likes this.
  8. One2

One2 Well-Known Member

I just replaced about 80% of all OEM bolts that require safety wire with race spec Titanium bolts. That’s pretty easy too.

Here a Titanium front sprocket nut and washer. Haven’t had installed the Titanium sprocket yet.

[​IMG]

9. obakerone

obakerone Active Member

That is sexy...where'd you get the parts form?

10. obakerone

obakerone Active Member

I just started racing with WERA and run an 05 R1. Yes I wired everything last year but got clips over the winter.

11. One2

One2 Well-Known Member

A guy named Pete from the UK made them for me. I’m sure members here know who he is.

obakerone likes this.
  12. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

FYI, I have 2 Ex Graves Yamaha R1's. an o4 and an 05, PM if you have any questions regarding setup.

obakerone likes this.
  13. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

What if you’re using front axle sliders? Does the front axle still get wired? What about the end bolts for the plastic sliders, do those need drilled and wired or is loc tite sufficient? 09 gsxr750 front end. Thanks.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You have to wire the axle no matter what. That doesn't change with add ons as the axle hitting the ground isn't the issue. The sliders don't need to be wired - but also why run them? Never seen a lower fork ground down that I can remember.

15. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

Do all the pinch bolts need to be wired? I have the nut wired to one pinch bolt not all of them.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes they do.