1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From the road...

Discussion in 'General' started by dtalbott, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep.

It's amazing to me the number of wannabe truckers around here getting stuck on train tracks - who then try and blame it on GPS and the state for not doing the signs properly. Guess what idjits, they do have signs and you can turn your ass back around and go another way...

2. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

My Dad always said, "That's why God put a steering wheel on it, so you can turn it around.":D

K51000 and BigBird like this.
  3. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I own a small forklift company, and have been thinking about putting on GPS systems in my service trucks....not cameras. I haven't done it yet, partially because I don't want to lose good guys that think I'm trying to big brother them. We really want it to help with dispatch, I don't have the time/patience to try and watch them all day.

I'm wondering if this company may just want it for when there are problems and it could be a good place to work?

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

For service trucks I'd look at GPS and forward facing cameras. They'll save a driver a lot more often than they'd hurt one. Cameras facing into the truck I don't get really. A little too much control.

ToofPic and Marid2apterbilt like this.
  5. Marid2apterbilt

Marid2apterbilt Well-Known Member

Yep. Outward facing dashcams cover your liability. People's first thought sue the company, we gonna get paid.

Texas is a fun state,. That's why you see so many "been in a truck accident" lawyer billboards.
    They will sue you, your driver, and anyone else they can claim had any amount of liability. Even the accident up the road that caused the backup that forced everyone to stop and them rearend YOUR employee.

6. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

I agree with covering your ass camera pointing out.
    I have bought 2.It's saved me 2 times last summer. Both vehicles were charged in the accidents.

7. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I put in a dashcam on my truck a couple of years ago. I realized quickly that it ended up making me a more courteous, and less aggressive driver. They went into my entire fleet as soon as the Amazon delivery came in! Forward facing only, and I set them up to not record sound.

8. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

If you want max views on your YouTube videos, you'll need sound so we can hear what music you were listening to, as well as you cussing out the other driver in Russian.

9. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Yob tvoyu mat!

10. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

so I was at the Pilot this afternoon and there were some trucks parked out on the side of the road in front of the Pilot and on the ON ramp getting back onto the interstate but there were open truck spaces in the parking lot, which made me wonder.....

do you drivers have to pay for those parking spaces? I also found it odd that some of the first 5 or 6 spaces, closest to the store were blocked off with "Reserved Spaces" signs.

Also, if you don't have to pay for those spaces......why stay on the on ramp our out on the side of the road??

11. Marid2apterbilt

Reserved spaces is just another money racket,. With the log rilule changes a few years ago and now mandatory ELD parking has become a commodity. They were $10 now there $15.
    Previously some truckstops charged $10 gate fee waveable with purchases of $20-40.
    Some locations they have more than half the parking lot listed as reserved.

The ones parking on ramps and along the driveway are usually too lazy to back into a parking space or just incapable of backing up a combination vehicle. Some of there driving abilities are just scary..

dtalbott likes this.
  12. Marid2apterbilt

Some states have made it illegal and strictly enforce no parking on ramps.
    Va, AR, In, are a few. VA starts around 5-6am with stare troopers waking up these drivers and writing tickets. Last I heard Nj was looking into it. Parking in some areas in the NEast is very minimal. You either park early or risk it on the shoulder.
    I prefer parking early,. Seen too many drivers half asleep at night that can barely maintain a lane. No way do I park on the shoulder anywhere.

dtalbott likes this.
  13. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Some park on the ramps because the truck stop is full.

ToofPic likes this.
  14. ToofPic

Yep..
    If your not settled in around 7pm,your probably screwed.When I ran dedicated in Florida,the truck stops were full
    around 5-6 pm .Most of those drivers you see parked on shoulders,and on/off ramps probably didnt plan on it.

Ive been held up at shippers,road work,wrecks ,you name it,bad weather.When your trying to stay on schedule to make
    a living,shit happens.In my opinion there needs to be waay more parking for otr drivers.Not walmarts,but legal parking.
    It pisses me off to see some dick cop waking up a driver.That asshole cop doesnt have to worry where he sleeps every night,
    and just fucked an already tired drivers rest time.Ive personally driven illegal,tired as hell just to make sure I found parking
    so that shit wouldnt happen.The same dick cop writing tickets just ensured those drivers will also drive illegally until thay can
    find a safe place to park next time.Shit happens..rant off

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Or they got in late when the lots were full and arriving later they stick around later :D

dtalbott likes this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I stopped about an hour earlier than I wanted to last night just because the rest area had space. Would have sucked not finding anything in the next couple and having to push through to the track. Did that to Pitt last year, the last hour of that trip was not fun.

Marid2apterbilt and dtalbott like this.
  17. bigtime

bigtime Well-Known Member

I had to deal with this driver that went down a road that was posted with three signs that the road was closed.

Edit. Tried to upload a pic but the file was too large for some reason. Or I’m a idiot.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  18. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Just to update:

The more you drive, the more you realize that you have been there before.

ToofPic likes this.
  19. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

When you say backing up a combination vehicle do you mean tractor/trailer or pups (doubles etc)?

20. ToofPic

Where you at? Where you been? Been missing this thread! Whats 418 doing?
    I just quit Coke and now drive for Ricoh electronics.Its a Japanese outfit,and Im pretty much driving my same old route.
    Very heavy overweight paper loads.Smoking brakes,but home nightly.I miss otr :(