1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From the road...

Discussion in 'General' started by dtalbott, Jun 1, 2016.

1. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

You should have told me earlier.

2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Bro-in-law may have just thrown a couple live ones at you and made you fend for yourself. :D

3. dtalbott

Sounds like the Burger King in the service area just south of NYC. I placed my order, was told to grab a tray, got handed my burger, got my own fries and drink. Weirdest BK I ever saw.

4. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

This in New Jersey, which won't let you pump your own gas. Sounds like you've experienced the Vince Lombardi Plaza on the NJTP. One of the creepiest rest stops I've ever been in.

BigBird likes this.
  5. dtalbott

That's the one. I was almost out of hours. No choice on stopping.

Tonight is a vendor's DC in Bethlehem, PA. Only vendor I have been to that offered a TV room, free showers, and overnight parking.

6. dtalbott

Arizona is just too damn hot.

t11ravis likes this.
  7. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

They are saying it's hotter than normal right now but yes, AZ is too damned hot.

I enjoy getting home to my own bed and shower every night. Having to deal with the stupid called Madison, WI is my daily penance.

8. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Well that's cuz I75 isn't their Tpke. :D

For those who travel with RV's, that Ohio Tpke is actually a pretty cool place to bed down, they have plenty of RV parking spots and even have power for a fee ($20 overnight).

9. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

We spent 3 weeks driving around New Mexico/Arizona 4 summers ago.
    Crazy hot (we're from FL btw...) :D
    I kept checking my tire pressure as I had overinflated them a bit for the drive out there, kept waiting for one to explode in the afternoon heat! Can't imagine what the asphalt temperature is at 3pm on some of those roads.

10. dtalbott

Here in Tolleson, AZ, high today of 113, and tomorrow 120.

Luckily, I'm heading for Colorado shortly.

11. condon66

condon66 Member well known

I like when people who have never been there will say "but it's a dry heat out there." I don't give a shit how dry it is...113 is disgustingly hot.

12. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

What? You don't like dodging clapped out Subies held together with bumper stickers and Priuses? :mad: I hope you can at least avoid the Beltline during the commute.

13. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Watch out for the Haboob! It's like a pop up thunderstorm in the east but they freak the eff out.

If you get a chance swing by the big ass meteor crater assuming your headed to 40.

I would suck at driving as I'd take so damn long because of side trips to road side attractions. I'm guessing that's frowned upon.

14. dtalbott

Very much frowned upon.

t11ravis likes this.
  15. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Well the dry heat thingy does have some merit.

We were in Spain where it was mid to high 20C and was very nice. Got back to Toronto and it was the same temperature but it felt way hotter. Totally unpleasant. only difference was the humidex.

rk97 likes this.
  16. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

The stupid on the Beltline never ceases to amaze. I usually make my way over to Verona by 3, but sometimes dispatch will do something sweet like send me halfway back across town @ 4:30-5. FML

I swear, Madison has the dumbest, inconsiderate, most self-centered drivers in the state.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Wouldn't be an issue, nowhere to park and a lot of the roads you can't get a truck down them.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It has merit up to about 100F.

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

:stupid: Yeah, I've done mid-summer Arizona a couple of times. When your skin starts burning, the lack of humidity isn't much comfort. And then there's standing over a barbecue when it's 115+ outside. Fastest I've ever picked up a burger. :D

20. dtalbott

Arizona rest area....

Attached Files: