1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From the road...

Discussion in 'General' started by dtalbott, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Dunno, I see people skip across the gravel even on Vintage bikes. Hence the airfence.

2. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I can see hitting the gravel but you would have to stand the bike straight up and drive at the wall to get there. It seems your line of travel is going to carry you along the wall not right at it. That is just not what I would consider a real scary corner at Mid O. Turn 8 (Madness) seems worse with less runoff. Maybe I'm just way too slow.

3. condon66

condon66 Member well known

Seems to me that at just before apex your trajectory would be putting you into the wall fairly easily.

4. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Just doesn't seem that way to me. You are coming out of the Carousel and shouldn't have a ton of speed, plus you want to hang to the right a little going into that corner clipping just the corner of the apex to maximize your drive down the front straight making your momentum parallel to the wall more than directly towards it. I think the picture is showing guys running a protective line while racing. I just don't remember seeing a lot of crashes in that corner that reach the wall. Like I said could just be me though.

5. condon66

There's no braking zone before the last turn which, yeah, you dont see a lot of accidents there but if something happens as your transitioning from full right to full left, and just before apex, I think it could potentially be a bad thing.

6. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

To each their own I guess but I haven't seen many issues there.

7. condon66

There's air fence there so.....somebody with more in it than us thinks it's an issue.

8. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Woohoo! No Maine for me!

Splitting the trip in Massachusetts. My boss said there was nothing to do in Maine, so no need of me going.

9. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I had fun in Cincinatti when I was there a couple years ago. Even met some chuckle heads from this place. :D

I thought Athens was a cool town too when I was there on a different trip.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

May not seem that way but I've spent days and days sitting in that building looking at that corner and it happens. Rare yes but it happens. Upside is it's WAY better than it used to be.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Many - no. But tons more than T12 at Road Atlanta....

12. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

OK but prior to turn 12 at RA your top speed is what 130 mph 150 mph? Top speed coming out of the Carousel is maybe 50-75mph. The OP made it sound like mid Ohio was ago path and that there was no run off in that corner. My point is just that you're not going that fast on the run all seems fairly sufficient for the speed you are actually traveling. I have no problem with the air fence being there, trust me! I have actually run off in that corner myself. I ran wide and ended up in the grass strip between the curbing in the gravel.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Huh??

You said you haven't seen many issues there and that is what I was responding to.

14. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I was responding to this.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You missed the smiley?

16. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Well let me alert the family that you won't be stopping by for lobster dinner. :p

dtalbott likes this.
  17. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Guess I'm no good on smiley etiquette.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

A smiley indicates a post isn't 100% serious.... Same as if someone is telling you the same thing in person while smiling or laughing. AKA a joke. No need to be offended that they dared talk about your local track :D

19. TheGrouchyCat

TheGrouchyCat Don't let my friends know I'm slow

Yea it's a lot slower than it looks. Or maybe it's just slow when I go through it :confused:. Regardless, I love riding Mid-O.

20. joec

joec brace yourself

Stan lipert passed me there at one point my first time there. On the inside. I was just figuring out the track. Maybe first or second lap. I swear, he was leaned so far over, going so much faster, I could see the entire right side of his bike paralell to the ground. Lol.

TheGrouchyCat likes this.