1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From the road...

Discussion in 'General' started by dtalbott, Jun 1, 2016.

1. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Shitty deal all around, and RIP to the 4 people who burned to death but I agree that 110 years seems to be a bit on the overkill side of things from a sentencing perspective.

2. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

Get a cdl , forfeit your rights - it’s a scary deal . Even as an owner of trucks on the road I could be held criminally liable for “issues”
    It’s all fun and games, til
    It’s not. One of the few legitimate jobs where You can end up in metal bracelets after a day of hard work for an honest mistake. There’s no right answer for it sadly , nobody starts their day driving wanting to hurt people . We all want to get home too .

Montoya, ToofPic, 418 and 3 others like this.
  3. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

I feel for everyone involved. The dead, and the driver. Thats a real horrible way to find out you aint suited for your job. Id imagine there was a bit of panic and target fixation going on.

dtalbott and BigBird like this.
  4. 418

418 Expert #59

Inexcusable?

Feel free to hop in my truck with me and we'll go down the mountain at 70 miles an hour and see how appealing those runaway truck ramps look then.

There's been a lot of monday morning quarterbacking on this whole deal and the fact of the matter is even some of the truck drivers don't know what the fuck they're talking about.

I would think this being a community of people that know what it's like to operate a vehicle under stress would understand how sometimes it's very difficult to make the right decision when your whole being is telling you to do the opposite.

If we're going to give this 23-year-old kid a 110 year sentence than the carrier should get the same sentence and so should that guy that gave him his CDL.

Does he deserve prison time? Yeah.
    Life? No.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
    ToofPic, Photo, Rebel635 and 4 others like this.
  5. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Damn it, I agreed with everything you've said so far except for that.

Experienced driver should know better than to try and get away with anything, especially bad brakes or overweight.

Sabre699 and Gixxerguy855 like this.
  6. dtalbott

Remember this - it's easier to keep it under control than to get it back under control going downhill.

Sabre699 likes this.
  7. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

It may not be appealing but isn't that why they're there ?

By the way, I think the sentence was too harsh too. I'm not ragging on truckers but it seems the kid had some other choices he chose not to make.

Gixxerguy855 likes this.
  8. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

The sentence imposed on the people who burned to death because the driver chose to save himself was pretty fucking harsh.
    The driver is alive, he could have piled his truck into something that wouldn't have killed others who were in no way responsible for the operation of his truck. He may be in prison but he's still alive and breathing.
    He's the lucky one.

ducnut and Gixxerguy855 like this.
  9. BigBird

BigBird blah

Razr likes this.
  10. Ducati89

Ducati89 Ticketing Melka's dirtybike

11. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

There used to be a Texas State Trooper in a sized Lamborghini patrolling I-20 around the Midland, TX area.

That would be a cool assignment for about a week. I don't reckon those things are designed for long-term driving every day all day.

12. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

418 likes this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Was it an issue any normal inspection would find?

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Got stuck in a backup on a side road between here and Road Atlanta once and was talking to the driver of a semi being towed out of the ditch - someone in a car crossed the center line, hit another car, lifeflighted one of them out and all the normal sucky stuff, I couldn't turn around since I was in the RV pulling a trailer - one thing he said has stuck with me since then, he said one of the biggest things in his training was if you can't get it stopped it's better to put it in the ditch than kill someone. You may get hurt, you may even die, but it's still better than having to live with causing others deaths when you have another option.

Never forgotten that, especially when I'm in the RV or towing a trailer.

15. dtalbott

Don't know. Either way, they'd still say it was the driver's fault.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Agreed but I was looking more at you specifically blaming him.

Reading through more of the thread I can see his panic but passing runaway ramps once he knew his brakes were out is just unacceptable. It sucks for him but I get the sentence if that was the case.

dtalbott likes this.
  17. dtalbott

He was the driver; drivers get blamed for everything.

From what I've read, even the judge didn't like the sentence.

18. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

The missus and I took a road trip to Colorado just a couple of days after this incident. We drove west the same path he came east. There were miles and miles of open right-of-way about 100 yards wide on the right side of the highway. I still have my dashcam footage from that trip, I could post it in the yt thread if there's interest.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And again, your post basically said YOU blamed the driver. I wasn't talking about the judge or anyone else, just responding to you specifically saying you blamed the driver.

20. dtalbott

I'm a responsible driver. I have no doubts that the driver was at fault.