1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From the road...

Discussion in 'General' started by dtalbott, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Marid2apterbilt

Marid2apterbilt Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, it's been a few years since I have been thru there. Yes there are a few runaway ramps. I suspect this is towards the end of the downhill as you enter a denser population area. It always backs up in the morning hours. That's a LONG steep grade. Downhill for 10+ miles. It will easily scorch the best of brakes.

GarrettRick and ducnut like this.
  2. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Downshifting is your friend.

3. Marid2apterbilt

A little Google Foo. Eisenhower tunnel thru Loveland pass to Denver is 8%grade maximum. There are a few lesser areas but it's pretty much downhill the whole way to Denver.

60 miles from Denver to the tunnel.

Donner pass near the CA/Nv state line is another you gotta watch your self on. Aside from a few short flat or slightly uphill areas it's 50 miles of grade from summit to Reno or summit to Sacramento.
    I was running east once with a buddy and we came rolling into Reno about 80mph. Brakes already hot. Traffic started to slow . Took me a good mile to get her slowed down. Thankfully traffic didn't bow up n stop. Near downtown Reno I80 is a elevated roadway without much shoulder...

ducnut likes this.
  4. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Me & the missus were just through there, I lived in the mountains west of Denver for years. Yeah, there's a long lazy slope leading to this spot, we went through the opposite direction.

[​IMG]

The spot on google streetview.

[​IMG]

News footage.

[​IMG]

The last several miles leading up to this are a decent slope, not 8%, maybe 4ish.

The last 2 miles before the scene are actually pretty flat. I presume with the traffic situation that the exit just prior to the scene was full of cars, but exit 261 a mile-ish back looks to have been an excellent opportunity for runoff. Other than that spot, lots of armco and jersey barriers lining the road on the shoulder.

I really think the driver had opportunities to make a different (but still shitty) choice on what to do with his truck.

As was said earlier: DOWNSHIFTING (at the crest of the hill!!!!!!!) is your friend.

ducnut likes this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Are we even sure his brakes went out?

6. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

That’s what I heard on the news

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ah, cool. Hadn't heard much, luckily been avoiding the news.

8. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

I wonder if his brakes were so toasted his parking brakes were out - when in doubt pull the red and yellow and brace

dtalbott likes this.
  9. Marid2apterbilt

Best option is the pedal.
    Popping the brake valves only applies spring pressure to 1 drive axle and the trailer 2axles. Leaving both steers and front drive axle free to roll.

Also you can apply alot more pressure thru the pedal.

I just assumed he had brake issues. Once there good n hot it takes a bit to cool off. Like the wolf Creek pass song.
    It's like stepping on a plum. No matter how hard you brake there only going to get hotter and worse.

ducnut and 418 like this.
  10. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

I was thinking he may have been out of air ... or panicked , was in neutral and didn’t rev to go back in gear . A million scenarios

Marid2apterbilt likes this.
  11. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Dropping some trailers is more difficult than others.
    A story in pictures. I saw this yesterday on a walk.

We were exploring this "road" which is 4WD steep.

woods trailer 1 large.jpg

As we got higher we saw a backhoe and something behind the trees that looked like a building.
    woods trailer 2 large.jpg
    A little closer and I realized it was a trailer. woods trailer 4 large.jpg

Notice the size of the rocks chocking the tires. Yes, that's a ruined kennel attached to it.
    The last registration on the trailer is 2015.

This is taken from the same spot looking back down at the road they brought it up.

woods trailer 5 large.jpg

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Bet the backhoe helped.

They're logging a build site behind my house, log trucks have to get pulled in and pushed out to get up and down the hills.

13. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Either that or the backhoe brought it in alone without a truck hooked to it. Just back the brakes off, pick the front up with the bucket and back in.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

15. Marid2apterbilt

Woohoo. 2 million miles.

My head always wanders and I miss the 000,000 mark every time. :( FB_IMG_1556495526673.jpg

418, auminer, dtalbott and 1 other person like this.
  16. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

I guess Falcon just sent a message to all driver to stop driver, they are done immediately. Shut off fuel cards, and possibility of permits no longer be good. Other drivers are asking if any body needs a ride or meal where they are at they will help if they can. That would be a shitty situation to be in.

17. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

They’ve always seemed like they were operating on the edge of going belly up.

18. Marid2apterbilt

I've worked for 1 company where the bank told me insufficient funds to cash my check. Shortly after me and owner had a few words and I cleaned out the truck n went home.

Unless it's a holiday delaying your direct deposit then your pay should never be delayed. Sure sign to pack up n leave.

ducnut likes this.
  19. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

And, guaranteed, the owners always take their salary.

20. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar