1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frivolous lawsuit against Keigwins trackday organization:gofundme link

Discussion in 'General' started by duc995, Mar 13, 2018.

1. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Douchebagger comes free with the Dookatty!

2. :crackup:

3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Someone gift you a Duc? :Poke:

Phl218 and crashman like this.
  4. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:crackup:I have had one for quite a while fucko! Does it show?:D

Phl218 likes this.
  5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Is it the Canadian spec one? Hand warmers and a moose whistle? :D

crashman likes this.
  6. FTFY

crashman likes this.
  7. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

just to clarify, daniel kim and the video are from a past incident and a past lawsuit... the one that started the gofund me and the one where he was attempting to avoid a "slower rider" are a newer incident.

8. Ah I see.

But still.

Fuck him.

9. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

They must've decided that insuring motorcycle events is too risky now.

11. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It won't.

I'm not sure what's going on with WMRRA, it is very odd - we've never been dropped for a lawsuit. Then again, we've never lost one either (and we have tracks and others as additional insured, it's normal). There are more insurance companies out there than McNaughton as well, there is a lot of money to be made insuring track events.

418, mastermind, rcarson15 and 3 others like this.
  13. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

That's actually really good to hear, especially since you know what you are talking about on this subject.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Lots of people panicking over this and the whole Keigwins gofund me wording. Honestly there are a lot of crap track days out there that need to go away. They don't run things safely and they do drive up costs and problems for all of us trying to do things at race tracks. But as long as people keep paying them, they'll keep getting away with it. Just like track days running at unsafe tracks, as long as the track makes money they'll never fix anything.

However, overall those of us running events the safest we can will be able to find insurance and put on events. I'm wondering if WMRRA is having issues due to being in Washington or other local problems or even if it's just a cost issue. I can't imaging our insurer or K&K or the like turning down business even with a lost lawsuit. I could see them maybe imposing some restrictions but that's about it.

15. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Can't fix stupid.....Damn how I hate the "not my fault" mentality. I wonder how Hayden Gillim responded after the Pitt Race crash? Would that tire wall be considered gross negligence? In over 10 years of riding at Beaver (now PIR) I've never seen that tire wall come into play yet it happened. Will all tracks need to be located in the middle of the Bonneville salt flats? I have hope that sanity will prevail.

5axis and rcarson15 like this.
  16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I'm wondering how no one's ever sued Laguna about that nice big wall that goes all the way down the front straight and hooks around the grandstands there. It's about the same distance from the track surface as those sandbags were and hurts a helluva lot more when you slam into it.

[​IMG]

17. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

I raced with WMRRA for 6-7 years up until quite recently and it really sucks to see this happening right now.

There's a recently settled lawsuit thats mentioned in the press release, a current lawsuit by an insurance company against a local Track Day provider as well, and of course the infamous Keigwins suit - all of those combined have to make insurance companies nervous about the risk/reward proposition when insuring race org's and TD providers.

Personally I'd no longer be a Control Rider for a TD org - even that would worry me given the recent state of "signing the waiver seemingly means nothing" attitudes.

Hopefully WMRRA finds insurance and they get in the full season minus round #1 - a bunch of great people in that Org and of course a bunch of new Novice's chomping at the bit to get started.

DirtTrackin221 likes this.
  18. Lazy Destroyer

Lazy Destroyer Well-Known Member

I think the other thing that helps WERA is having Reggie be the trackside-linebacker to keep everyone in check. I know of one dude that got the Pain Train at Tally a couple years ago and he never sued LOL

mastermind likes this.
  19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup:

20. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

What happened with WMRRA is that a racer got injured due to the track making a small, minor change to a K Wall that caused a huge impact, and the injured rider made a poor judgement call regarding a passing opportunity. WMRRA was absolved of responsibility and liability, but the track was held liable and as the track was covered under the WMRRA insurance umbrella, WMRRA's insurance made the payout to settle the lawsuit. WMRRA was informed that it was not liable, but it was never informed that settlement was paid via WMRRA's insurance policy, and that WMRRA would be considered "uninsurable" due to the payout.

Mind that the incident happened in 2013 (IIRC), the settlement was paid in September 2017, and WMRRA wasn't informed of the lack of insurability until a few weeks ago. It's a sad state that we are in, and no one wants to have to make these decisions.