1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frame powdercoating

Discussion in 'General' started by Hyperdyne, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Anyone have any recommendations for a business in the SE region? Also on the prep.. Media blast or chemical strip?

Thanks..

2. I know a decent place in NE Ga that I used, off 85 almost at the SC/GA border. Not sure how close that is to you, probably a lot cheaper to find someone local.

3. joec

joec brace yourself

Media..The shop that does my stuff blasts pretty much everything before they do it..unless its galvanized.

4. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Procryo in Cumming has done great work.... I guess your ditching the Eastwoods??? If your coming to Barber bring it... I could drop it off for you if needed.. Only a mile from my house...

http://www.procryo.com/

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

There's a place here in Augusta, Augusta Speed Shop. Owned by Kerry Kling. He or his son used to race WERA. They did some steel benches for me and did a great job.

Past Glory, ClemsonsR6 and Phl218 like this.
  6. Hyperdyne

There's a reason I want it powdercoated, but it's more about the availability of a certain color now than just the basic black. Although I will use the Eastwood on a different project.

7. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

8. JAB

JAB Well-Known Member

If the frame is powder coated now It needs to be chemically stripped & then a light abrasive blasting for cleaning & adhesion purposes. Do not let someone blast old powder off a aluminum frame or put it thru a thermal stripping process ( burn off ) or the frame could be ruined. Blasting paint off the frame is ok.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

10. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I've seen some of his work and it's good. He has my HD down there and he's going over the whole thing powder coating almost all of it.

11. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Iirc, don't you live in the Nashville area? I use a guy in Lavergne. Have only had him do a few things but they were all bigger things (I powder my own small parts but don't have an oven big enough to bake big shit). Couple frames and some wheels and shit. Always turned out well and he seems to be pretty knowledgeable. I also buy my supplies from him and he's very reasonably priced all the way around. PM me if you want his info. I'll have to dig it up. Been out of the game myself for a few years so haven't had anything done in a while.

12. dsmitty37

dsmitty37 Well-Known Member

13. Hyperdyne

I'm closest to Owensboro. I'll send you a PM.

14. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

This guy gets it. Burn off ovens can easily warp the frame if the temperature is to high. We use one daily in our shop. If the water suppression unit doesn't work right you can easily have the oven reach 1200 degrees. Yes, we have melted some things on occasion. We usually strip the frames woth D-zolve to get the powder off and then do a light blast off with a large glass bead blaster.

15. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

Another happy customer here. He did the wheels on my bike.
    It was his son, Palmer, who raced.

16. Hyperdyne

Luckily for me it's just factory paint on it now. I've heard how difficult it is stripping off the old powdercoat.