1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fort McMurray Fire.

Discussion in 'General' started by backcountryme, May 4, 2016.

1. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Over 80,000 people have been evacuated out of Fort Mac. This fire is amazing. I feel so bad, this is the hub of the oil industry in Alberta. I know there are tons of people that are already facing hard times up there, and now this. So far there have been no deaths, I hope it stays that way.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/04/world/fort-mcmurray-fire-canada/index.html

2. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

the video footage is unbelievable. Not to sound too morose, but with the tough economic times in Fort Mac and Alberta, the construction boom from rebuilding will be a welcome boost.

3. backcountryme

It very well could be. The fire started Sunday, and has already gone crazy. It is really dry, and the weather has been crazy hot. I am in Edmonton for work, and the hotels are filling up with people from Fort Mac. I feel really bad for these folks.

4. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Scary stuff

5. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Do the oil sands burn where the seeps meet the surface?

6. backcountryme

It doesn't seep to the surface. It is encapsulated around the sand granulas

7. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

It's a boreal forest that typically supports an infrequent, stand-replacing crown fire fire regime. Almost always keyed by dry fuels and wind.

8. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Only saw pictures so far. Looks like a war zone....

9. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Massive evacuation, gas and food are at a premium. Help should already be on the way.

10. Jed

Jed mellifluous

thought I saw a few pics of exposed sands along river banks where there was visible oil.

11. Pour maple syrup on it!

12. backcountryme

Lots of donation sites being set up all over Edmonton and Calgary. Fuel is a real issue. There is a whole lot of road between Fort Mac and Lac Le Biche. I understand that there are several mini tankers that are heading to the highway to help people that have run out of fuel.

13. backcountryme

This is what it looks like.

Attached Files:

14. backcountryme

And now the awesome prime minister of Canada is makin star wars jokes before addressing the people of Fort Mac. Awesome job dude.

15. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Shut the fuck up retard.

Focker, cha0s#242 and Sabre699 like this.
  16. backcountryme

About 2000 structures have been destroyed as of now. Most are homes.

17. caboose

caboose I love peanut butter!

My bro lives in Edmonton. He told me they were seeing vehicles arrive from Fort Mac with melted bumpers, charred paint, severe heat damage.

Many parts of the road from Fort Mac are totally surrounded by fire.

Others are getting out via quads and side-by-sides...

My bro's gf's family fled north out of Fort Mac and now they're in Fort McKay. There are no more roads north from there, if they need to pull back farther I guess they're going overland.

18. backcountryme

Hotel lobby here is getting full. People are being turned away because this one if booked.

19. You should go up there and help if you can figure out where Canada is, or is running a full WERA season getting in the way of that.

20. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

It is hard to imagine that a city the size of Ft. Mac possibly being burnt to the ground. Insurance rates are going to be jumping this year up here.

backcountryme likes this.