1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Formula RD?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Steve in NC, Jan 20, 2001.

1. Steve in NC

Steve in NC Member

I'm new to WERA, I'm thinking about building a Formula RD. Can RD400 wheels, brakes, and swingarm be used on a RD350 in this class?

2. WERA476

WERA476 Well-Known Member

Yes you can swap parts for the most part out between them other than running 400 rods in a 350 I think. I would recommend using the RD 350 spoke wheels instead of the 400 mags if that is what you are considering. The swingarm is different also between a 350 and 400 and would have to be modified because the 400 uses a disc on the rear where the 350 has a drum. The front disk caliper is also a little different I believe. On the 350 the disk caliper is on the front of the fork where the 400 it is on the back. I've emailed you a article from Lyn Garland at Vintage Specialties. Contact him for more help. He is helping me right now get my 350 going also. He is super nice guy and will help you out a lot. Tell him Chris Stevenson refered you.

Chris
    #476 Expert

3. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Let me echo what Chris has stated above. Lyn Garland is building my Formula RD. I had to outsource almost the entire process due to heavy work travel schedules and other priorities. Lyn is one of maybe three or four folks I have complete trust in with regard to working on a bike I will ride on a track.

Regarding a wheel change ... bear in mind that the OEM RD400 wheels are MUCH heavier than the spoked RD350 wheels. And I don't know what advantages they really offer. Of course, YMMV.

Come join the fun!