1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Formula 1 car vs Superbike

Discussion in 'General' started by deathwagon, Mar 31, 2016.

1. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

2. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Watched that last night....simply amazing

cajun636 likes this.
  3. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I said before if he's compensating for not winning a TT this is the way to do it!

5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Not really a fair comparison since a Superbike is based off a production motorcycle and an F1 car is literally the pinnacle of 4-wheeled prototype machinery. At least should have been a MotoGP bike for comparison. And Guy Martin is admittedly not a fan of circuit racing.

I still think an F1 car is going to blitz a MotoGP bike around a circuit course, but I imagine it would be by less of a margin.

zippytech likes this.
  6. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Quick search for a track where they both run - Malaysia. F1 pole - 1:49.8. MotoGP pole - 1:59.0

7. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Stoner and Webber did it a few years ago with the Red Bull car and Repsol bike and Webber spanked his ass.

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That's wrong. Without even researching it I can tell you that the difference is closer to 30 seconds.

Boy I hope I'm right. :D

V5 Racer likes this.
  9. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

That's why I prefaced it with 'quick search' :D. I only looked at qualifying times for F1. Might have been raining during qualifying. Practice times were in the 1:39 - 1:40 range.

10. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I looked into this last year and the car was 20+ seconds a lap faster at 4-5 of the same tracks. It's interesting that the bike outruns the car from a stop.

11. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

I miss those sounds the pervious gen F1 car's made! So badass.

Yzasserina likes this.
  12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

:stupid:First reaction I had to the video.

13. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Are we certain they run the same track configuration? ...or that the F1 time wasn't wet qualifying? :P

14. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Even with the loss, it's nice to hear a driver acknowledge how much effort and skill goes into riding a bike.

MotorTrend did an article years ago where a Honda bike raced a Honda F1 car, but the driver/rider traded vehicles. The rider stalled the car (although only once) before the lap ever started, and then the driver could tell the crash truck exactly where the car had gone off the track, because he knew the rider lifted and lost downforce.

panthercity likes this.
  15. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Formula 1 cars are strange beasts. Gotta go faster not to crash.

16. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

^ agreed. It's got to be weird to know that you can navigate a given turn at 80 mph or 120 mph, but nowhere in between.

TheGrouchyCat likes this.
  17. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

The Sodi gokarts at the local track actually turn and took up better on the gas. Its weird coming up on a corner, tapping the brakes, starting to turn in and nailing the gas.

18. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Better power to weight ratio so better acceleration, but alot less rubber on the ground to much slower cornering speeds and worse braking performance.

19. oilslinger

oilslinger Well-Known Member

Wouldn't downforce on a bike put too much weight on the tires causing less traction? It's all in geometry. I was surprised at how close they were on straights, but that really shows you how much speed an f1 car can carry through a corner o_O

20. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I'd like to see what both vehicles were capable of at the likes of Bonneville, gearing alterations withstanding.
    We know bikes have had a higher top speed at Monza, but what are they each really capable of in an unrestricted space?