1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fork play

Discussion in 'Tech' started by pefrey, Aug 4, 2014.

1. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

Fist, I removed my 2002 YZF 600forks off (conventional forks, not USD), removed the springs/spacers then secured the lower to a benchtop.

Then I pulled sideways on the slider when it was all the way in and then all the way out (and in between). There is no visible play and I can't feel the tube move, but I can feel a little tick through the slider when I pull. It seems there must be some amount of play.

How much play is too much or should there be none at all?

2. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

I always used to try to get it out if I could feel it anything, but it can be a challenge to not over do it. If you have some shim stock and a way to stipple the back of the upper bushing, go for it. just get a good feel for what it's like before you start, and if you notice it's dragging more, you probably need to back it off. Shoot for no click but no drag.

In the end, if the bushings aren't worn uneven, I probably wouldn't bother.

3. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

I think I'm good. I did not look at the bushings this time since I did not want to completely undo my forks for an oil change. Next time I may take them apart and replace the bushings just because.

Thanks.