1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fork oil

Discussion in 'Tech' started by sportracer07, Nov 17, 2019.

1. sportracer07

sportracer07 Well-Known Member

Hey guys im doing the end of the season tear down on the race and street bikes. I always change fork oil on the race bike every season. But my question is how often do most of you change your fork oil on your street bikes. Street bike is an 00 ZX6R if it matters. I changed it end of last season and put about 20k on it this year.

2. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

20k? Do it. I did mine as regular maintenance yearly. Of course we get a 6 month vacation from it so we had plenty of time get around to it.

3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I believe the manual recommends you change the oil for a street bike at about 1/2 that (10K miles).

4. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I'll bet 95% of the street bikes never get the fork oil changed unless the seals start leaking. Not that it's recommended...

5. beathiswon

beathiswon Well-Known Member

I change mine at about 10k miles max on the street bike. The fluid becomes much less effective by that time but the most important thing is that it starts getting pretty dirty beyond 10k which wears out your forks and can clog up the valves if enough dirt gets in there.

6. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

Just guessin' but a 2000 model with 20k miles last year probably has a lot of miles? I'd put bushings in it too.

7. sportracer07

sportracer07 Well-Known Member

Rhino48 believe it or not the old Ninja has 286,000 miles on it. No that's not a typo lol. I have put bushings in it, but that was about 60k ago. Your right im sure it wouldn't hurt.

K51000 and pscook like this.
  8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

lol... that probably would have helped in the OP