1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forearms/Grip: I’m a Wuss

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Apr 15, 2019.

1. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Many many moons ago I read in Maxim or something that women look at forearms like we look at boobs, I guess they were right.

My wife used to love mine. In high school and college I hit so many golf balls they were pretty big...now when I don’t make it to the gym she makes sure I can see my broomstick with a weight on the end of a rope. :Poke:

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I made one of these roller things this morning out of pvc and paracord. Works pretty good.

3. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

If the rope was over 3 feet i'd be burning with about 10-15 lbs

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

The how to I found said to make it long and stand on something so you can go longer. My cord is about 6 feet and I stand on my bench. It takes about 20 twists to get it wound up.

5. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

Muscles never used to interest me.
    Now that I am rapidly gaining in age, I am beginning to see the appeal of a well maintained physique.
    Getting old turns everyone into pervs.

6. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

thats a very good point. bulk is just going to increase the chances of arm pump.

pro climbers don't have large forearms. all that mass def isnt required for ridiculous grip strength. IMO, a large part of grip is learning how to hold on - and even learning when not to hold on.

7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Older women are animals.

8. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

Can confirm.
    This thread popped up at the right moment to highlight old woman depravity - I was helping someone tape and mud a wall the other day and it was watching the muscles in his forearms move that made my brain explode.

The aging thing is weird... I should start a blog.

9. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

It's a little confusing to be honest.
    Arm pump is a result of too much blood in the forearms. So shouldn't more muscle mass mean a greater volume allowance for blood?
    Pro climbers don't have big arms and likewise with guitarists, they both have great grip strength but is grip strength the root of the problem?

10. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I think there are a few issues w/ large muscles and arm pump. Larger muscles require more blood, so flow in is increased. Larger muscles also press against the fascia more and can constrict veins, so flow out can be decreased. Both of those lead to more arm pump.

I don't know if grip strength is the root of the problem. I'm a small guy (140lbs), but have above avg grip strength from rock climbing (>110lbs). Climbing also trains against arm pump. I can likely use my grip for far longer than the avg person without arm pump. I can also recover much faster, simply be relaxing a bit more... which I know how to do better. So, im at a huge advantage over the avg person... meaning im an outlier and my opinion isnt that valid, haha.

I will say that my greatest performance increase in rock climbing came not from gaining more grip strength... it was learning how to hold on as little as possible, the bare minimum to stay on the hold.

turner38 likes this.