1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ford Tech/Service Writers: 2014 Focus question

Discussion in 'General' started by pscook, Aug 21, 2019.

1. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

We took in our 2014 Focus SE for the transmission warranty renewal (finally!), and were informed to replace one of the engine mounts. The service writer said that it's pretty common so they keep them in stock.

Question: what is the chance that the engine mount broke/wore out due to the shuddering from the clutch issues? Or, what causes the engine mount to fail regularly enough that they keep them in stock?

2. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Different mounts for different things. Some are just rubber. Some are hydraulic. Some even have vaccum lines going to them.
    Every car has problem areas, a motor mount is a pretty small one to be honest. Don't over think it.

Boman Forklift and Adam.B like this.
  3. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Some motor mounts dissolve if exposed to oil leaks for a long period of time. I don't think that would be the issue on a 4 year old car, though.

I've ridden in one of those problematic Focuses, and I could be persuaded that the transmission shudder could have sheared a motor mount. YMMV.

4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

50/50. It either did or it didn’t. ;)

Underengineered as a cost savings, weight savings measure.

5. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

As an aside, I was told by a longtime independent shop owner that if a dealer has a part in stock, it's something the dealer has to replace on a regular basis.

In other words, it's a well-known chronic problem.

TurboBlew and pscook like this.
  6. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

This was my thinking, that the shudder contributes to the mount issue. Part and parcel with the "chronic failure part" mentioned above.

7. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

$415 to replace. Of COURSE I'm going to overthink this.

Granted, we have owned the car for 5 1/2 years, and that fact that this is the first "major repair" (compared to the 2002 Passat fiasco), we think that we're getting away fairly lightly.

8. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Glad I have a manual transmission. :)

Chris likes this.
  9. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Some parts are just poorly designed.

10. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

This one is manual as well. It's the clutch that's an unmitigated disaster. But, the warranty has been extended to 100k for the parts and 150k for the electronics. It will be a GREAT beater for my daughter when she starts (legally) driving in 18 months. And it's been a great all-rounder for us in the last 5 1/2 years, again, compared to the Passat.

11. BigBird

BigBird blah

[​IMG]

TurboBlew and Rebel635 like this.
  12. bored&stroked

I wasn't aware the manuals had a problem or the extended warranty applies to them. Its very specific to the dual clutch automatic from everything I've read and heard.

Newsshooter likes this.
  13. BigBird

BigBird blah

it's a Ford, it probably applies to everything that left the factory.

14. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Sorry, my poor term usage. It's a the auto clutch model that I thought was attached to a manual transmission. I made an assumption that the transmissions were the same with a different clutch actuation method.

15. BigBird

BigBird blah

[​IMG]

16. bored&stroked

There are very few transmission that were ever designed this way, the original SMG back from like 2006 in BMW is one. Literally a normal manual trans with the SMG crap stuck on front. Come to think of it, it was a giant pile of crap too. Maybe your on to something lol.

17. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Nope Nope Nope

BigBird likes this.
  18. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Didn't Alfa Romeo do this back in the late 90's/early aughts? I mean, if you are going to eff it up, go Italian first, right?

19. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

And if the part is on back order, they're replacing a shit ton of them.

BigBird likes this.
  20. BigBird

BigBird blah

DSG has two clutches..mo manual [emoji16]

Sent from my smatrfone