1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ford Flex owner feedback

Discussion in 'General' started by 50Joe, Aug 16, 2017.

1. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Asking for a friend. Reliability? Real world mpg? Towing capacity?

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Good, ???, 3500lbs.

3. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I'd look at Fuelly.com for real MPG. Can't help otherwise.

4. Phl218

Phl218 .

i really wanted one but the wife didn't like it. ended up with the cayenne. still think it's a pretty cool and undervalued car. that's all i got.

5. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Real world mpg is tough. According to the EPA my Honda Fit should be averaging 36. According to Fuelly it should be averaging 35. According to the calculator (and whichever gas mileage tracking app we use) my wife is averaging 45-48, with the vast majority of her driving being around town, with one 60 mile interstate trip per week. And we live in Arkansas, so it's not like we can drive it with the a/c turned off. Not gonna lie, I hate being stuck behind her in traffic, but she gets much better gas mileage than I do.

6. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Joe

We have a 2012. One of the best vehicles we have owned. With me driving MPG is ~ 21-23, when the wife is driving 24-25. For its size and use, we are happy with the fuel economy. We've put 40k+ on it in three years. I have only done regular maintenance on it ( oil changes and wear items).

It is one of the most practical and well thought out cars we've ever had. Ours has the factory tow package on it and we've pulled our 1800# pop up camper with it no issues all over the US usually still getting 20+ mpg . The 3.5 V6 towed with no issue. I intended to try it towing the 6x12, but the wife usually won't let me have the car for that many days.

I will definitely get another one. In fact, when the time comes I am keeping this one and just getting the wife a new one.

I think it's one of the more underrated vehicles available. So in a nutshell, my experience is very reliable, economy is good given size/application, towing is very capable as well.

hope that helps
    Mark

50Joe likes this.
  7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

That's like saying you had your heart set on a Yugo, but that damn wife of yours insisted on a MacLaren. :D

cha0s#242 and Phl218 like this.
  8. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

I'd have a hard time paying that much for what is nearly a 10 year old design and technology. They're pretty interesting though if you can find a good deal used.

9. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

If I was going to go back to a "car" for a daily driver and was willing to pay as much as they cost(even used), I'd seriously look at one. I like wagons, and they are a wagon on steroids.

50Joe and Phl218 like this.
  10. Phl218

Phl218 .

Well there was no alternative in the Flex category so we looked at SUVs

11. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

We have a 2011 since new. We just road tripped FL and back going 75-80. We got 22-23 mpg. 70-75 will usually get u 24. The towing capacity is right at the limit where you have to go light. As much as I'd like to get an RV style toyhauler, the Flex is our big car, and not scheduled to be replaced for another 4 years. That leaves me looking at 6x10's and 6x12 cargo trailers. It is noticeably heavy, but stable as anything and rides nicely.

12. Will Farrell and Mark Walberg loved them in the movie Daddy's Home, just sayin.

Buddy of mine has one for his wife and loves it for road trips.

13. CMRA 270

CMRA 270 Comes here for the latest CMRA gossip

Had one, but never towed with it...standard v6, not the turbo. Loved it....absolutely loved it.

14. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

What is it people like I drove one and it felt like a typical Ford and I couldn't find anything at did terribly well

15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I've got a client that uses them as hearses...

16. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

I've got a base trim 2009 with almost 150k on it. Only things I've replaced have been A/C blend door motors, one sticking rear brake caliper, tie rods and lower control arm bushings. Otherwise, regular maintenance.

It's rated at 17cty/24hwy - I average 21mpg commuting to work mostly highway. Comfy car, HUGE inside. Quiet and comfy on road trips. Easily tows 2 bike open trailer (6x10 single axle). Actually looking to 'upgrade' to same size enclosed trailer in the very near future and we'll see how it does with that.

17. Phl218

Phl218 .

one of the reasons i looked into them was the big interior, apparently 2 adults can sleep in the back with the seats down/out.

RRP likes this.
  18. kevincg

kevincg Well-Known Member

We had a 2014 Limited w/ the Egoboost. Great vehicle, very practical, lots of space. The turbo V6 is AWESOME, but I would recommend NOT getting the 20" wheels. They ride pretty harsh and tires are expensive as this thing weighs 4k, so its basically an SUV that sits lower to the ground.
    My mileage was 16-17 around town and 19-22 hwy, but I enjoyed the boosted motor so it could be better for someone else.

No maintenance issues. We drove ours for over 76k miles.

It is a great hwy vehicle, but I never towed w/ it so I cannot help w/ that. It was rated for 3500 -4k lbs I think. I highly recommend it.

RRP likes this.
  19. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

My dad has had a lot of vehicles and his is one of his favorites.

20. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Great vehicles, but man could they use a refresh.......

Sadly, I don't think that will happen as they are rumored to be discontinued by 2020.