1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ford Expedition opinions?

Discussion in 'General' started by gapman789, Feb 22, 2017.

1. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Im thinking of getting rid of my '01 Chevy 2500 HD crew 4x4 and my '07 Ford E250 extended/hi-top van and got one vehicle.

Last year, it took me 11 months to reach 3000 miles for my next oil change on the Chevy. The van went to Florida twice, Iowa, Maryland, and TN in the past 12 months. So maybe 5000 miles on it.

The truck is my get around town, go to funerals, and stuff. It's getting old and has given me 0 trouble in the 4 yrs that i've had it. How could it with as little as i drive it..... the interior is minty. Still looks decent enough.

The van i obviously use to tow the 6 x 12 trailer and 2 bikes, and thats all the driving that it sees. It may not leave the spot it's in now for 8 months.

I have '02 Honda CRV that i bought for work, but it's too damn nice, and im gonna sell it. I bought an '04 Honda pilot for work that doesn't have a good body panel on it. Dents, scrapes...bought it from a retired navy guy and he's had that thing shipped around the world, where ever he was stationed at. It is mechanically in great shape.

So, i've been looking at Excursions with the V10...I don't care about gas mileage. But i can't find a decent lower mileage one for a decent price. Im trying to stay in the $5-6k cash range. (i aint worked in 10 wks)

Enter the Expedition. They are relatively cheap, loaded with options, 120k-150k mileage range, 5.4L is a great motor, 4x4, comfortable and should easily tow a 6x12 v-nose with 2 bikes.

My van has 228k with the 5.4L and runs like a top. 75-90 mph up and down the I-75 mountains in Southern KY, TN, and North GA

Anybody got experience with the beastly Expedition, 2003-2007?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It's basically an F-150. Should be a pretty reliable, boring milf-mobile.

3. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

My daily driver is a 2007 with 178000 on it. Rotella every 5000 plus regular fuel & air filters and it's been solid. It pulls my 6x12 with one race bike and gear pretty easy. No regrets.

4. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Maybe it was just my truck but I thought the 5.4 was a piece of crap, underpowered compared to the competition but still sucked gas, then there's the plug issue to deal with, possibly the exhaust manifolds and the cam phasers. I have an ecoboost now in the same package of F150 of the previous truck and that engine is an animal by comparison.

5. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member

Should be easier to repair than the van when it shoots a spark plug out of the head...

Boman Forklift likes this.
  6. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I rented a newer one in California last summer and took the family from San Fran to Tahoe then down to Death Valley and back to Frisco. It was a downright bad ass vehicle.

But honestly if I was getting a beast SUV, I'd have to go for a late 80's - early 90's Toyota Land Cruiser. Although I know I'd give up towing capacity.

7. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

Check the ford forums. Pretty sure that's the years they had some issues.
    My son-inlaw's 2006 has been leaking so much water from the passenger side front widow down the the pillar INTO the fuse box it's no longer fixable. Which of course he found out after the fuse box and relay's bit the dust.

red2002 likes this.
  8. gapman789

Thank yas...Looking at the Navigators too...minus the air ride/leveling suspension that seems to be problematic.
    Haven't really seen any big probs with the XP and the 5.4 besides the sparkplugs. There are a couple variations of the 5.4 i believe.

9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I used to have an 03. Words of wisdom, if you plan on sleeping in it at the track, get some privacy tint. One time at Hallett I put an air mattress in mine. It was pretty thick, raising me up to nearly the same level as the windows. I woke up the next morning with my blankets kicked off, my junk hanging out of the leg of my boxers, and some lady looking in the window at me!

418 likes this.
  10. gapman789

Seems like 03-04 didn't have the sparkplug and cam phaser problems as the '05+, but in '05 the 5.4 picked up 30 more HP and better fuel economy.
    Looks like there's a $70 plug extractor tool that eliminates taking the heads off 99% of the time when a plug breaks too.

11. gapman789

:) I rough it at the nearest hoe-tel.

12. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

Terrible resale value compared to the Tahoes here in my market

13. "Minty?????" :Poke:

14. gapman789

Huh? You know mint(y).... near perfect, pristine, like new.

Mint condition is an expression used in the description of pre-owned goods. Originally, the phrase related to the way collectors described the condition of coins. As the name given to a coin factory is a "mint", then mint conditionis the condition a coin is in when it leaves the mint.

15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

That's good if you plan on buying used and running it into the ground.

16. Yeah, no sh@t. "Minty," OTOH, is an adjective used to describe something that tastes like a mint plant. So, "minty" does not equal "mint condition" in any way, shape or form.

17. gapman789

You're being serious aren't you? That's just peachy, sweety.
    :whoosh:

18. gapman789

Yeah, i don't factor in resale value of anything. That's just my thinking. If I want something, resale value is the last thing I'm concerned with.
    If it fits my wants and desires and it's worth $0 when i get rid of it, then i'm good with that. Kinda like eating a steak. I paid for it. I enjoyed. And now it aint worth a shit. :)

There is a big variance in the price that the comparable Tahoes and Suburbans are going for though. They are considerably higher.

19. Well, maybe you sprayed the interior with mint extract, and you're a seat licker. NTTAWWT :D

20. joec

joec brace yourself

It also refers to color, which would be terrible for that truck. Lol.