1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ford 9.75" rear end bearing problems?

Discussion in 'General' started by R1M370, Mar 28, 2019.

1. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

Anyone have experience with a Ford F150 9.75" rear end noise/ bad bearings?
    I've got a 2013 2wd F150(bone stock) that has developed a humming (Sounds like I have mud tires on the truck) noise that is coming from the rear end. Pulled the fill plug out and i have alot of metal shavings on it, only 61k miles on the truck and just out of the 5yr 60k drivetrain warranty. Im guessing its a bearing on its way out and was wondering if anyone on here has been thru the same problem.
    Am I stuck buying the same OEM bearings or is there any aftermarket bearings that I should buy to replace?

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member

I had to bite the bullet on my 13 and had a dealer replace all inner and outer bearings in the rear end.
    It was pricey but I couldn't find an independent shop I'd trust with this.
    It did have 160K on it.

R1M370 likes this.
  3. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

R1M370 likes this.
  4. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

I've got a fleet mechanic at my work that will do the rebuild , I just hate to think I'm putting the same junk bearings back in.

Thanks BSA, I'll check that link out

5. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Probably an isolated incident. We get a rear end that trashes a bearing every so often. That plug Is going to have metal on it so don't take that as gospel, unless it's chunks it's not a terrible sign. Noone changes their fluid anymore. Any new truck I buy that fluid gets dumped within 1000 miles. Most axle manufacturers even have a break in period before you're suppose to tow.f

R1M370 likes this.
  6. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

Screenshot_20190406-152657_768x1365.jpg
    Update.
    Bad pinion bearing, outer bearing was in bad shape.