1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For those of you with HIGH end spare cars, IE 75-80 plus...

Discussion in 'General' started by ClemsonsR6, Nov 22, 2019.

1. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

How do you justify the purchase?

I'm looking at picking up a 2014 Viper. I can afford it. Wife says OK, but I know it's insane to have a 1300 plus car payment on a car that sits in the garage and collects dust.

I can't imagine what my folks, the in-laws, and other family members close by will say.....I know it's my money and to hell with them, but still......just feels weird.

What say'eth the beeb??

418 likes this.
  2. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Don't finance depreciating assets.

3. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

You drive it and enjoy it as much as possible and not worry about resale.
    But I also wouldn't pick the viper so...

4. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Never, ever finance toys like this. Pay cash and forget about it.

TurboBlew, SpeedyE, rllamarca and 2 others like this.
  5. ClemsonsR6

It's a business expense, so the business technically makes the monthly payment and will help on tax purposes.

rllamarca likes this.
  6. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

What's your DD?

7. ClemsonsR6

A 2014 Lexus ES.

8. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I say it's your money, get it. Life is way too short.
    I seen too many people catch a dirt nap, way to young that never let loose and enjoyed life.

G2G, Brian_J, RonR and 1 other person like this.
  9. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

What's wrong with getting a toy for awhile? I've bought a few over the years and enjoyed them.

10. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

11. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

1. If you have spousal approval then the battle is won.
    2. Who gives a shit what everyone has to say. If they want some input on how you spend your money then they can start giving it to you instead of you working for it. If that's not happening then tell them to go pound sand when they flap their yaps.
    3. If the financing is cheap then no reason not to finance it if your money is earning a higher return elsewhere. Just decide how much money you are willing to eat in depreciation to enjoy yourself. You can always get some money back out of it if you decide to part with it.

You only get one run through this existence. Having recently had a long time friend pass at 55 it put into focus again that we aren't really in control of what happens to us or when our exit will be.

G2G, Wheel Bearing, Gino230 and 10 others like this.
  12. ClemsonsR6

Yeah, financing is currently @ 2.9% on $78,000 if I choose to finance the whole purchase.

And regarding the depreciation....part of me feels like these last gen Vipers will hold value fairly well. Maybe I'm crazy and I'm just saying that to convince myself. But....that's not what is leading me to this, it's more like, I don't think the cost of ownership will be that much over a few years.

13. Venom51

It likely won't. I figure the HP beetle is going to cost me about 10k plus fuel, tires and services for a few years of driving. Note I am not including the sales tax I paid on the money spent. That'd make it about $19k for a couple years of fun.

I have been thrown a wrinkle however. Every time I bring up selling it the wife has an objection. It will likely be around for a while.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  14. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Yea, I can't imagine it depreciating more than 2k per year and probably less since that is the last version made.

15. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

It is justified if you using it. If not time to change :)
    I went through few expensive toys in last 10 years. When they start collecting dust because I don't use them they are gone.

TurboBlew likes this.
  16. Venom51

Good point.

17. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

If you do finance it, check what the insurance company says it’s worth and get gap insurance if you can’t afford cutting that check for a totaled viper if they aren’t gonna cover it all.

Otherwise, get the car!

Phl218 likes this.
  18. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Just get the car.
    When family and friends question how you spend your money, make sure you thank them for their input.

19. ClemsonsR6

Great point!!! Thanks

20. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

A Viper is on my mid-life crisis purchase list. Get it.