1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For the divers

Discussion in 'General' started by Captain Morgan, May 31, 2019.

1. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Die.

Sabre699 likes this.
  2. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Then throw all that shit away and grill a steak.

:D

speedluvn likes this.
  3. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

To die a gruesome death. :D

Sabre699 likes this.
  4. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Probably scream a little and blow out a lot of bubbles.
    Maybe that would scare off the croc.
    Probably not.

Then most likely pee a little, and maybe poop, followed by blood curdling scream that changes several octaves as the croc bites down somewhere soft and squishy. Coupled with some praying and lots more bubbles.

5. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Probably this isn’t the best thread for it, but I’ve been intrigued by diving for awhile now. What’s the best way to get started? I’ve seen the half-day ‘certification’ thing at resorts in the Caribbean, but that always seemed kinda sketchy to me. I live on Lake Michigan so there are places around me, but they’re usually geared towards people trying to become recovery divers or to get some sort of cert they need to go to a dive they already have set up in another locale. I’m on SCBA frequently for work so I’m not concerned about that aspect, but I am concerned about getting quality education and starting with a good foundation. I’m not keen on getting ‘just enough’ to get a piece of paper that says I’m allowed to rent equipment and do it somewhere else.

I’m mostly concerned this is another ‘gateway drug’ sport that will have me spending stupid money after I get into it lol.

6. joec

joec brace yourself

Look up your local dive shop. You'll have to decide what sort of cert you want. Open water blah blah. But out local shop did certifications through a several week program. Started in a pool, then to a quarry for your checkout dive.

7. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Go to local dive shop. Spend a few hundred dollars. Do some pool dives. then go to a quarry or laks to do open water dives. Ta da your open water certified.

Or for more fun...do pool dives local then fly somewhere warm for open water dives.

If you do get certified find a buddy and do some local dives. then fly somewhere warm for a few fun dives. I suggest Key Largo - Rainbow reef dive shop. Very noob friendly and only coral reef in the continental US is there.

8. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Sounds good. I think the open water part is what had me a little curious. I know how quick that lake can catch you slippin on a boat, I have a healthy respect for it.

9. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

10. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

Try night diving on a reef. Nothing like daytime diving.

11. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Smile wide so El Croco could say he had a happy meal.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  12. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Even better is night diving on a full moon without using a dive light. Had some great dives on Cayman during a full moon. It was fun following divers that didn't know we were there. :D

13. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

As far as getting certified, what Joec said. But go ahead and get Advanced Open water, normally it will only be a few more dollars. And do pay attention. I know everybody uses computers now but learn and understand the dive tables. And yes it can get expensive because you will want to go everywhere

Newsshooter likes this.
  14. Newsshooter

What the others said, find a shop, you can always do the checkout dives in warm water if you want to travel. Also you won't be any good for awhile, you'll learn the basics but you'll need to practice, it takes time. Practice buoyancy control, you should be able to hang in one spot or move up and down a bit with just a bit of breathing control. While diving reefs in warm water is great there's nothing like swimming through a kelp forest with good visibility.

15. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Y'all dive with a knife, right?
    Then it's a year's supply of GatorBites.
    Mmmm...tastes like chicken.

16. BigBird

BigBird blah

Had a riding buddy that had his van setup for his track bike and his scuba dives. had all kind of compartments of tanks and scuba gear, etc. He said it can make track days look like a drop in the bucket, and was just as addictive. so tread carefully

17. Newsshooter

I've got enough gear from tech diving to outfit three divers. It's still cheaper than racing. :D

18. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Fool you done watched too many Tarzan episodes! That croc would be death rollin your crusty ole carcass before you cleared sheath.

19. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Why would anyone go into croc waters empty handed?
    Hell, Mick Dundee was in a boat...with a gun! Woulda had his ass turned into burger if it weren't for that Rambo knife.

20. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

We did encounter them, they are permanently there so it helps with the mind tricks knowing they can't be to far, it's an enclosed lagoon that they like maybe the size of 1 1/2 football fields, they don't get that big in the cenote, 6ft max, but growing up in Florida I know reptiles move from place to place, and this dive apparently isn't that popular, not sure the last dive, but was nervous because a huge true salty I saw fishing that was over 10 ft and at least 300 + pounds about 3 miles south in la Boca a week before. Some were to far tucked back in the mangroves to reach with full dive gear. Did 4 full drops, shine them on the surface, try to get with in 30 to 40 ft. Pull the deflate valve, drop fast 20 ft to the silt bottom, and work your way looking up. The vis was so bad by the time you saw one, our bubbles and noise has it shooting away out the corner of your eye. Then it's me and my guide shining our lights franticly. Where the fuck did he go. Slowly retreat following the bottom out a ways surface. Then back to shining, and repeat. There were tarpon in the lagoon so they scared to shit out of us a couple of times. Your mind is on hyper sensitive mode underwater at night with bad visibility. Any movement your heart skips a beat, so spooking a 30 pound tarpon, spooking you when you know crocs are there, is interesting to put it mildly.