1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Folding Trailers

Discussion in 'General' started by Marcos415, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Marcos415

Marcos415 Well-Known Member

As much as I would love an enclosed trailer, I simply do NOT have any where to store one. With that being said I am in the market for a new folding trailer. I currently have a RedTrailers folding 4x8 with Pitbull TRS’s but it’s a piece of junk and not much better than Harbor Freight. Ideally I would like something that’s 5x10ish and much better quality. The kendon ones are nice but I have 2 Pitbull TRS’s so I don’t really need the rails and built in chocks. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

2. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

My buddy just got a knock off Kendon and mounted a TRS to is so that is the option I would go with if I were you. I had a 2 bike Kendon before the enclosed and it was great.

3. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

4. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

Check out the Aluma MC1F (1 bike) and MC2F (2 bike).

Marcos415 likes this.
  5. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

My kendon has been ::knock on wood:: solid and trouble free for two years now. I have an older model that I bought used and it was pretty rusty.

FYI - some guy on another board had the bolts that allow the back portion to fold fail and he attributed it in part to TRS. I’m not sure I believe that as there’s a good chunk of weight on the front of the trailer still and I also still use the chocks, but it may be something to be mindful of. I’m going to try and figure out a reinforcement of those bolts at some point. Probably just replace with new stainless hardware.

6. Marcos415

I believe it. The second half of the trailer is held on by 4 carriage bolts but overall the quality of the whole trailer is suspect.

7. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I have a HB too and also am looking for a better open trailer.
    Kendons are hard to find used, but seem to be the best option for small foldable.

Do you know the brand of the knock off?

8. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

What makes you say that? You’re paying a massive premium for the folding capability, but overall quality I haven’t been upset with, and my example has been put away wet many a time.

9. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Is it a race trailer? Ti bolts!

10. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

love my kendon, i tow with my subaru wrx and the trailer juts folds against my wall in my garage.

11. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    MachineR1 and rafa like this.
  12. Marcos415

I was talking about my current trailer made by Red Trailers which is essentially a slightly better version of the Harbor Freight. My bad I should have specified which trailer I was talking about.

gt#179 and Senna like this.
  13. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

No worries, I was just wondering if there was a fault in the Kendon I need to watch out for.

Marcos415 likes this.
  14. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Just curious, what exactly dont you like about it?

I have a buddy with the harbor freight trailer who has towed everywhere with it and swears it's all you need

Sabre699 and badmoon692008 like this.
  15. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

I wish the HF folding model came in a 5x8. It would be a little more versatile.

Marcos415 likes this.
  16. Jaketheone46

Jaketheone46 Well-Known Member

Loved my Kendon, just moved to a enclosed hipoint I bought right here and love it too. If your looking for a fold up I’d go with kendon.

Marcos415 likes this.
  17. Marcos415

Little things here and there that are junk right out of the box like The casters, license plate bracket, wiring, tires, brackets, lights, and hinges are very poor quality. If you ever tow it empty good luck because that thing bounces all over the place, I’m sure the suspension could be improved. I had to constantly fix/replace something and eventually went to Home Depot and pulled new wire for the whole damn thing rather than trying to fix it every time. It’s really annoying considering we do enough wrenching of our own in this sport unless you can afford to hire a mechanic which you probably can’t if you’re not willing to pay storage fees for an enclosed trailer.

Overall I would say it’s good investment if you have no long term plans for the trailer and you’re only going to tow 1 bike. My trailer lasted 10ish years and spent half it’s life outside covered with a tarp. However this time around I want something that I don’t have to constantly wrench on, bigger deck size for 2 bikes/gear, and better suspension. We spend sooooo much money on our bikes that it seems silly to me to tow them with a 2 dollar trailer. Especially when you consider the amount of physical and financial damage you can cause by throwing one down a busy highway.

gixxerboy55 likes this.
  18. mram0256

mram0256 Member

I’m in the market myself for a foldable. Looks like Kendon has a newer/cheaper “Go” series. Looks right at the price point of the “knock off”. I noticed the materials used are different and it’s imported. Anybody know someone who has one? Or seen one? Can’t be that bad right... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Marcos415

My brother that I carpool to the track with applied for a loan through Kendon’s website and he ended up getting approved for 3 years at 0 percent interest. The name of the loan company is called Klarna. Might be worth a shot if you want the nicer one.

20. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I searched for a used Kendon for the last six months. I wanted a double and was ready to drive 6 hours one way on a couple of occasions but the timing just didn't work out. I had set up an instant notification alert on Facebook Marketplace and sure enough one popped up 6 miles from me for $1000. Deals are out there if you're patient.