1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

flywheel/stator removal

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Jim Elliott, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Jim Elliott

Jim Elliott experienced asphalt surfer

Hi all..... any help is wanted.

i have a 2003 FZ1 (one of my street toys) i am trying to put a new stator on. Cant get the flywheel/magneto off. yes...i got the bolt off, and have a puller....it just wont pop off.... even tried heating it up some. then took it to a shop for them to try, and they couldnt get it. Anyone have any tips/tricks to share.

Thanks in advance.

2. CBR723

CBR723 Well-Known Member

Have puller installed with some tension then smack center bolt of puller with hammer. Don't try to drive a nail just firm tap. Have them come off that way. May fly off or you may see it just move a little.

pscook and ducnut like this.
  3. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

Got a pic of the puller you're using?

4. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

This technique usually works. It's a taper fit, the shock can break it loose.

pscook likes this.
  5. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

A shop couldn't get it? Larry's back/alley shop LOL

Good luck, it went on, it'll come off, one way of another.

It's like bleeding in surgery. It's going to stop either way, eventually

badmoon692008 likes this.
  6. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

If possible, leave the retaining bolt installed but loose by two or three rotations. If it pops off, the retaining bolt should slow it down/prevent it from hitting you in the shin.

7. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Have you used an impact on the puller ? Usually the hammering from that will pop them loose.