1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flat-slides 88 slingshot, Q?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by SpeedyE, Dec 11, 2019.

1. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

My 89 slingshot was bent like a banana (steering head and swingarm....f/r wheels were out 33mm at contact patches.... run through a puddle and leave two seperate tire tracks) (bought it bent, unbeknownst to me....long story) and osculated dangerously/unpredictably/exponentially at a slow/moderate pace, and was at Lee Shierts's/CA for straightening

I borrowed Ronnie Widman's ex-racebike (88 slingshot/F-springs/whitePower shock/supertrap) from a streetrider friend.
    Friend had no money for race fees but had $ for PM's and Flatslides to put on Ronnie's old bike.
    Anyways, took it out for 1st practice, and the throttle springs were sooooo F'n strong, I couldnt work the throttle safely/smoothly/correctly.
    I disconnected one of the springs, and tried again, to no avail......it was like my wrist was trying to twist valve springs. I gave up and borrowed another dudes bike.

What was the deal?
    Was all smoothbores like that back in the day? You added smoothbores and you needed a can of spinach & Popeye's forearms, or was something amiss with these? I think back on it, and the throttle springs were IMPOSSIBLY Strong. Is that normal?

Just answering questions in my memory banks. THinking of putting smoothbores/pods/pipe on one of my 86 bikes, but Not if I have to take Testosterone injections and pop D-bol tabs to overcome the throttle springs.
    Thank you.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  2. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Sounds like maybe the wrong throttle tube with the reel part too small?

SpeedyE likes this.
  3. SpeedyE

I don't know, I dont even know what that means, LOL.....That throttle was SUPER F'd!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL.
    Unrideable.....

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Lee does frame straigntening?

SpeedyE likes this.
  5. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

The diameter of throttle tube can effect the pull of throttle either harder or easier .
    I've stayed away from flatsllides because I have bad hands and wrist.
    I know newer models flat slides didn't have this issue.
    I'm sure someone know more than me about these as far as that's concerned.
    I use CV carbs because they work for me.
    Eboz is man to answer this question.
    He runs CV carbs and hauls ass on 7/11 Suzuki.
    Best of luck getting your bike fixed up.

Steven

SpeedyE likes this.
  6. Outsider V6 V7

Outsider V6 V7 Well-Known Member

SpeedyE I feel your pain brother. I've tried Mikuni and Keihin and even had Sudco send me the lighter spring for the 39's and it didn't help. I was using the throttle setup and cables I bought from them and could make about 5 laps of a sprint race before I could no longer twist the throttle. I know a few people using them and I think they are using the domino/dominator? throttle assembly. Finally put 38CV's on and now I could do a solo 20 with no issues. Barber 3 years ago as I was rocketing my way to the back of the field from running half throttle and when the race finished I did the cool down lap thinking I was going to have to pull off because just couldn't twist any longer. Needless to say I've got the ultimate selection of flat slides at my house in every size from 32-39.

SpeedyE likes this.
  7. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Any of them fit an SRAD?

8. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

If they don't now, they can be respaced.

SpeedyE likes this.
  9. Outsider V6 V7

All oil cooled stuff at my house that water cooling fad will never take off. SpeedyE, I can put you in touch with Chris Onwiler he races an 88 with 38 flats. Said he had a combination on his that was less brutal than most.

SpeedyE likes this.
  10. ScottyRock155

Is that true? I know almost nothing about carbs but I assumed there were more differences than just spacing.

11. Outsider V6 V7

I thought one of your bikes was Fuel injected?

12. ScottyRock155

That would be the one that is not ready. The ready to go bike is a 96 with carbs.

13. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

FCRs are VERY modular, I believe Mikuni RS setups are as well.

14. SpeedyE

I am sorry guys, I should have said, made this clear from the beginning.
    My Flat-sides story/experience is from 1989 or 1990.

I have (2) 86's, one perfect, one for restore.
    I have been on the 86 FB pages for the past couple of months, getting excited seeing all the period-correct mods everyone is doing, and was thinking of putting pipe/pods/smoothbores on the bike I will restore. My old/bad experience w smoothbores made me ask the question.
    I currently can't (or won't) ride a bike. My goal is to have the confidence to ride the bike to a local Vintage bike-night, when the restore is complete, prolly at the end of the summer in 2020.

I appoligize for not making more sense/clarity/info on my first post.
    Sorry again.
    -E-

15. SpeedyE

Back in 89/90 Shierts was one of two people (Dr John's frame straightening) who had the laser, to find the bends.
    I chose Lee for whatever reason. He gave me the #'s/bend on the phone. Bike came bike same as it left. That was a long time ago, Water under the bridge.

TurboBlew likes this.
  16. SpeedyE

Interesting info, thank you!
    I have reached out to Eboz/Outsider :)

VFR#52 likes this.
  17. SpeedyE

That was exactly my experience back in 89 or 90. Impossible to twist the throttle with any sense of control.

Looking back on it, I was actually mad at the time, Race fees, New tires mounted, my bodywork mounted, etc, etc, etc.....and I remember saying to myself (unsaid, but mentally directed at my streetrider friend), "You couldnt leave it alone (friend was a 'buy-widgets' guy) you had to F up Ronnie's Perfect racebike".
    I thanked him for the oppertunity, but the bike was unridable, and I borrowed another bike to salvage the weekend.

LOL!!!!

Eric, I don't understand how guys like Schwantz/etc/etc/etc......non muscular guys (I was only 130-lbs back then, so not saying it in bad way), were able to not only twist those throttles for the entire race, but ride at an inhuman pace.
    From what I am understanding here, is my experience was/is the norm.....how did the Pros of that era, ride those smoothbores? Crazy!

Thank you, E

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  18. Outsider V6 V7

Speedy, I've got an 89 1100 restore that will have 38 Mikuni flats so I understand your logic. Here's the AHRMA set up bike with flat slides and the 7/1216 set up on 38's which are baby smooth. The Keihin's weren't bad at Roebling but sucked at Gingerman, Tally and Barber.

Attached Files:

trussdude and SpeedyE like this.
  19. SpeedyE

Thank you, Eric!
    Chris has BIG wrists and forearms, hahahaha!

I know Chris/K3 from way back, CCS 2001-2010. Great guy! I just reunited w/ him on FB couple weeks ago. I had dinner a week ago with his old Ch-Town Hustlers race partner, David V, when he was in STL for work.
    Great Guys!!!!! <3 :)

20. SpeedyE

I have been looking at a lot of pics of your bikes on the FB's......That limited is super-COOL!
    Actually, your LTD is one of the bikes that is making me want to invest in some cool stuff/parts during the restore.

Call me when you have a few, I would love to get advices from you, on my restore bike/ltd.
    Thank you :)