1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

first wera race attended

Discussion in 'Race Reports' started by Present, Oct 9, 2004.

1. Present

Present Well-Known Member

heh,

thought to make a post of my experience as it appears no one else has. i've been watching roadracing for some time and owned motorcycles since i was 7yrs old, but have spent all my track time in motocross.

couple weeks ago, friend and i decided to go check out a motorcycle roadrace for the first time. we found one nearby at Gratten, MI. what a treat! not only were we amazed at the technical difficulty of the track (something that is often lost watching races on TV), but also charmed as race after race of bikes navigated the course.

we both left with the commitment to get our streetbikes ready for a track day and give it a go. it is hard for me to imagine a sport apearantly so rewarding and enjoyable, with such low barriers to entry!

it really is amazing and more people need to be exposed to it first-hand, no via the TV. trying to get all the guys who ride street bikes with us to watch a race. thanks for the forum which provides support for those of us with lots of questions.

cheers,
    pres

2. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

I went to my first track day in 2002 I think it was October at Jennings!! I loved it so much I continued attneding track days as much as my pocketbook would allow!!! Then I decided that I need a dedicated track bike which turned into "I would like to try my hand at racing". I went and raced and had the absolute funnest time of my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My friend James Greeson aka Tankboy helped make it a great event by reminding me that it is my first time racing and that "it is just track time!" aka don't kill yourself, go out there and have a damn good time which is exactly what I did!!!!!

3. Present

well,

i was just watching, but i bought an old (98) kawasaki zx600, and i'm hoping to get to some track days myself very soon. we are in Mich and FL for about 1/2 the year at each, so there are many opportunities... i can't wait.

pres

4. zx636skiv

zx636skiv avatar wizard

Still trying to get to the track after 16 years of sport riding on the street, either no time or no money...taking donations now!:D

5. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

i live in grand rapids and race with wera and do trackdays with sportbiketracktime.com.....if you are still interested in getting to the track let me know....i can show you around.

6. Present

hey,

don't know if you're still watching this thread, but i am interested!

been in FL all winter, and headed back to MI next week. would love to take you up on the offer. e mail me at: discussionATpollinationDOTus.

cheers

7. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

just got back from racing this weekend in joliet, ill. sorry i didn't get right back to ya.

check out the local track schedules at:
    http://www.grattanraceway.com
    http://www.gingermanraceway.com

or the track day organizer schedule:
    http://www.sportbiketracktime.com

look at when you think you wanna go, and let me know. i will go out there with you or at a minimum hook you up with someone who can take care of you there. if it is during a race weekend i won't be able to go....you can check out the race schedule here:
    http://www.wera.com/pages/yearlyschedule.htm
    i am racing the national challenge series and the north central region.

(and i probably can't do a weekday since i am taking off so many days from work just to race)

we will make something work though...just let me know.

8. Present

sweet! thanks. will be traveling next week or two, so when life settles down i'll try to get a couple dates pinned down. would absolutely love to do a track day. i'll post back in a bit.

cheers,
    -pres

9. Present

Trackday

Just registered with a friend for Sunday, Aug 7, at Grattan, for a trackday. SportbikeTrackTime is hosting the event. Anyone with suggestions please be free with them.

cheers

10. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned