1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First WERA event at CMP?

Discussion in 'General' started by BSA43, Mar 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

When was the first WERA event in Kershaw at CMP?

I'm trying to date some photos I found in my files.

TIA.

2. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I think it was '99. I know I was there. And all the others that have been there also.

Cam Morehead likes this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Whatever year they opened. :D

4. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

I attended Ed Bargy race school there in '99.

5. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Should be 99 then, maybe 98.

6. stickboy274

I remember it was 1000f and people were having troubles after the solo races. I worked outside here at the time, so I was good.

7. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

I remember one Sunday event where it was 98 or above from 11am on, with about 85% humidity.

Just as the awards were wrapping up, a thunderstorm came in and people were scattering like headless chickens.

As I was leaving the track, I personally saw a transformer on the highway explode after a lightning strike.

8. stickboy274

That's my hometown. Good times.

9. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

That explains so so much...

10. stickboy274

For years there was a set schedule. Saturday of a race weekend, about 7/8pm a storm would come through. Level canopies and be gone before 9. About the time everyone was out to dinner.

Cam Morehead likes this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

12. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

Yep same here

13. 969

969 Well-Known Member

I crashed there.

14. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

OK, I dug through my file cabinet and found an entry form for CMP dated 24Jul1999.

Was that the first bike race there?

15. stickboy274

I think so.

16. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

I was there. They made us all follow a pace car (or bike??) for 2 laps and we werent supposed to pass. I was riding alongside Brian Kradgett and after the first lap, going about 27mph, he flipped up his visor and said "f&*k this $hit", downshifted 3 times and took off!

+1 on the 4:30 thunderstorms. Lake and pine forest right outside of Camden sparks off lots of "convective activity" that usally leads to a big thunderstorm. Rick Guirey donated a canopy for tech area when they first opened and after the first one got blown away, he came back with a VERY ROBUST one that might even still be there today!

stickboy274 likes this.
  17. brex

brex Well-Known Member

He was going 27mph in 4th gear? And flipped his visor up to take off?
    Odd.

18. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

We have found the sniper on the grassy knoll!

count your blessings.....as 18 year old stories go, this one has surprisingly light embellishments. Now, if you want to hear about the time I almost beat Frank Strohman bc he thought the halfway flags were the white flag.....