1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First track bike: current track bike or dealer set up?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by testa_rossa, Mar 10, 2020.

1. testa_rossa

testa_rossa I don’t go here.

Have a couple thousand street miles clocked but I got injured and I’m considering moving into track exclusively.

I was thinking of buying a bike from the classifieds here but I don’t know anything about maintenance, parts, etc. I used to work at a dealer but I don’t live close to it anymore so I have no resources anymore lol.

Is it more prudent to get a used bike through a dealer and have them set it up for me? I feel like the obvious answer is yes but are there factors I’m not considering? Price isn’t necessarily an issue if I have better piece of mind.

I don’t expect to get my race license anytime soon and I’m happy to stay in novice until I’m ready. So I’m not sure if accessories like tire warmers, etc would be a necessity at this level?

I’m pretty much smack in the middle of Summit, Jersey and Pittsburg. So I have the potential for a few track days.

Thanks!

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'd buy something already prepped and put the money you save into track time.

Senna and Shenanigans like this.
  3. Tj Hunter

Tj Hunter Well-Known Member

If your seriously considering track days and FOR SURE if your going to race, you may want to get a good set of tool and a shop manual for whatever bike you have. If you have to take it to the dealer for everything its going to be a HUGE time and money suck. The only way you would get around the money issue is if you have a friend that owns or work in a dealership but you will still have to "pay" your friend somehow, I dont know anyone that works for absolutely free, even if its a case of beer it still payment. I obviously do not know your income (or care for that matter) but motorcycle racing is an EXPENSIVE sport, and this is from a DIY racer.

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

IF you must use a shop... I would only patronize a race or track oriented business. There are quite a few and they tend to be busy. Your standard pedestrian motorcycle shop will most likely not be able to help you in any constructive way except to empty your wallet. Starting out... you dont need to go crazy with components until you actually need them like rearsets, bars, bodywork, etc. When I say need I mean... hindering your riding progress.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  5. R/T Performance

R/T Performance Well-Known Member

For novice track days prep is pretty minimal. basically tape your lights and depending on org swap your coolant to engine ice or water wetter and water.

Warmers are not needed i recommend novice to ride street tires and not use warmers until at least running high I pace. you have to go fast enough to keep warmer tires hot or it's a huge hassle and waste of time.

buying a set up bike isn't a bad ideal race body work takes a few 1/4 turn fasteners to get off.street body work was designed by satin himself and installed by double jointed midgets. nearly impossible to find the hidden fastener until you here the crack when you flex it back.

Good luck my only regret was not getting to the track sooner

Circacee and Senna like this.
  6. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Get something like an SV or an early 600. Check "Bikes for Sale" on here as well as "TDJ Motorcycles, Parts, and Accessories" on FB.

7. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

^this. Also to add, there are some dealers/non race shops who will outright refuse to work on race/track bikes. I had a wonderful time at the dealer I bought my YZF from once when I took it there to get fixed and it had my race numbers on the tail section. Obviously its a streetbike, stock plastics, all the oem lights and signal stalks and touring style tires. Just had numbers on the tail. Freaking old mechanic came running out after my truck screaming "We don't work on racebikes". Turned into a shitshow and I ended up talking with the service mgr who knew the bike isn't a racebike. Mechanic took it upon himself to do that.

Motorcycle racing isn't that expensive unless you make it that way. Yes its more than motocross on ave, but its no wheres NEAR auto road racing. :D

Starting out I wouldnt bother with warmers in novice trackdays. Just a good DOT race spec tire at most. Most novice sessions are controlled for the 1st 2 laps before they turn you loose. By then the tires are warmed up.

I would just find an already built track bike. Most racers keep them mechanically excellent even if the bodywork looks like ass. Take a friend who knows bikes well to look at them. A 2nd set of eyes with an objective view and isn't afraid of telling you its not a good deal comes in handy. Just make sure to get a rear stand (and front stand if possible) before bringing it home.