1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First time racer

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by obakerone, May 1, 2017.

1. obakerone

obakerone Active Member

Hey all,

I have started the process to enter my first race with WERA at LVMS. I have a 05 R1 and have gone through the rule book to ensure everything will be ready for tech and all my gear is in good shape. I have submitted for my PN license and even did my AMA registration. I did a thread search and found places to order number plates so hopefully I get my number in time to order some.

If there are any other tips/tricks that are often overlooked I would appreciate guidance. Other than that, I'm looking forward to having a great experience and meeting others to absorb some knowledge from.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Don't worry about asking questions of the other riders or officials. I'll be up on the second floor of the tower (registration will be on the first) if you need anything at all.

Bring shade of some sort and water, lots of water. Start drinking more of it than normal on Wednesday or Thursday beforehand - even if it makes you stop too much on the way to pee :) Don't forget to eat. Bars like Clif are great for not putting too much in your stomach if you're nervous but give you the energy you'll need. PB&J is also great race food.

Email me Wednesday afternoon on the number, Evelyne is headed to Grattan so she'll have all the licenses processed by then.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Oh yeah - welcome to the madness! :D

flygirl likes this.
  4. obakerone

obakerone Active Member

Thanks! I don't have very far to travel as I'm a Vegas local but I'll be the PN rolling in with a 40ft toy hauler! :D My family is spoiled and needs their comfort. I did get a message from Evelyne saying she would work on it this week so I wasn't really going to start worrying about it until next week.

5. obakerone

obakerone Active Member

Oh yeah...how much to change my user name? I didn't read the fine print and was expecting a user name field further down. Would like it changed to obakerone if possible. Thanks.

6. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

If Mongo doesn't see this soon you can also search out HPPT or DaveK and get one of them to change it. They're mods here. DaveK changed mine.

Well over 600 times.

Welcome aboard!

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I can probably handle that :D

8. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Drinking more water days in advance of the race will get your bladder used to holding more liquid, but it will not "pre-hydrate" you. Humans aren't camels.

You do want to go to sleep well-hydrated, and then drink a liter of water right when you wake up to give yourself a jump-start on the day. And yeah, you want to drink more than normal, since you'll be sweating a lot. Remember to get a gatorade in the rotation every 4-5 waters. I do not recommend red gatorade. Looks like you're puking blood if you catch a handlebar in the gut. The ambulance folks take that shit VERY seriously (as they should). I also feel like the sugar in gatorade makes my mouth dry and 'sticky' while riding. Water is better before a race, gatorade after.

I puked in my mouth during my first solo 20. Have fun.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No it won't pre hydrate. As you said that doesn't exist. But since the overwhelming majority of humans are always in a state of at least slight dehydration it will put you back to properly hydrated ;)

dsmitty37, Ra.Ge. Raptor and rk97 like this.
  10. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

That's just good life advice.

I have been trying to drink a gallon of water a day at my office. I can usually make it half-way. I also lost 12 lbs. and have had some other nagging health issues disappear. Water is good.

Shenanigans likes this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Agreed, I go through 3/4-1 gallon a day. Should/could be more but I want coffee in the morning :D

12. obakerone

obakerone Active Member

Thanks for the name change!!

As far as hydrating I've been trying to drink more water and less soda lately just to shed a few pounds too. The other half of my family are drag racers so water is something we normally have plenty of while at the track but I normally start my days with a monster and a banana, then I chase it with a bottle of water! I regards to Gatorade and powerade, I try to stay away from the reds, oranges, and greens just incase something happens they don't mistake it for some sort of bodily fluid.

13. obakerone

obakerone Active Member

Mongo - Just wanted to let you know I got my PN license in the mail today! :D Now I guess all that is left to do is actually register and finish prepping the bike!
    IMG_0787 50.jpg

Last edited: May 5, 2017
    dsmitty37 likes this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sweet! :D

15. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I don't know if a first time racer can, but pre-register if you can. The line in the morning goes much quicker for the pre-register guys. Talk to your pit neighbors and ask questions, we were all 1st time racers, too.

If you are camping at the track, as long as you get there Friday before about 9 pm, you can buy the wrist bands that will let you come and go 24/7 after that. That track has a nice layout and your pit crew can see the majority of the track, when you are riding by going over to the pit wall.

Have fun.

16. obakerone

obakerone Active Member

Thank Rob! I'll be the PN rolling in with a 40ft toy hauler! hahaha. Not sure if we'll be actually camping since we are Vegas locals but we like to be comfortable when at race tracks.

I was looking over the classifications and best I could tell Superstock looks like the class for me. I have an '05 R1 and the only mods are Graves full TI exhaust, a PCIII, and of course the hotbodies fairings.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

A Superstock, then up to A Superbike and Formula 1.

18. obakerone

obakerone Active Member

Registered for Superstock A Novice at LVMS on both 5/13 and 5/14. Do I have to sign up for the Rider School somewhere or is that automatic when I show up?

Also ordering some number plates from drippinwet!

19. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

When the beeb actually helps someone get into racing, I get that weird feeling when South Park didn't kill Kenny...

badmoon692008 likes this.
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We'll handle that at registration Saturday morning - you'll need to fill out a form (on the table to the right as you're facing the registration peeps) but just do your name, we already have the address and if you don't know your ID they'll look it up. Bring your AMA card too.