1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Race Weekend!

Discussion in 'General' started by UGADAWGBEAST, Feb 23, 2009.

1. UGADAWGBEAST

UGADAWGBEAST Well-Known Member

I know its seems as though there are always newbies asking questions, so I figured hell why not jump on in! I will be running "My very first Race" at jennings in 2 weeks. The crazy thing is...I have no idea what to expect! I will be in the "meatgrinder" 600 classes and know it will be intense! Any pointers on what to do or expect?

2. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Relax, think, ride and have fun! Have all of your ducks in a row before you get there and things will be much easier.

3. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Pointer..... Hold your line.

4. Photo_Chick

Photo_Chick Leo's Wench!

Make sure you go to the riders meeting so you know what's going on. If you have any questions, the WERA officials love to help out. Have fun!

5. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

congrats! also remember to have fun out there, and keep it on two wheels

6. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

have all of your sh!t filled out when you go to registration. have all your documents with you, forms, license, etc. then no one will be pissed at you when you back up the line. ;)

7. UGADAWGBEAST

UGADAWGBEAST Well-Known Member

Thanks guys! I will be in my provisional shirt in the rear with the gear! I am figuring that 1:24's will put me mid pack with a decent start...?

8. bel-biv

bel-biv Well-Known Member

in my first year of racing, i found that i could run fast alone, but had a hard time finding a way past other racers in some spots
    i was used to track-days and with making clean passes
    not to say that race passes aren't clean, but it took me a bit to learn how to force my way past guys
    then i had a few hard lessons in learning how to lead races
    it definitely a head game

as others have said - have your bike, gear and paperwork squared away
    don't show up at the track needing to give the bike an oil change or some crap like that
    come ready to race

once you get out there - race with your head, not your balls - you'll last longer
    race YOUR race - don't worry about what the other guy may or may not do
    hit your marks, ride with your intensity and for God's sake - be consistent

racing is a whole 'nother animal
    welcome to the addiction

9. brand-o

brand-o Well-Known Member

10. AndyR1

AndyR1 Well-Known Member

Do a Solo 20 to prep for Sunday races.

11. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

For sure do the solos.

Also, be patient in your first few races re: passing people. Overtaking people who are only a little slower than you are is a skill that needs to be developed over a little bit of time. If everyone who raced the 600 novice class took just that one bit of advice to heart, we wouldn't call it the meatgrinder.

When you catch a person, try to see it coming when they're still a ways out there and make a plan. It's easy to just go as hard as you can and forget that when you get to the person, you're not just going to magically be in front. Your plan may or may not work, but it will be a learning experience.

This is not to say that it's bad to be aggressive. Aggressive os ok, as long as it's tempered with a little reality. If you have been comfortable braking at the 5 marker, braking at the 2 in order to pass a guy probably isn't going to end well for anyone, especially since you haven't yet seen what it's like to brake at the 4, or the 3. Most of all though, relax and have fun...it's awesome!

12. vito2279

vito2279 Well-Known Member

You were running pretty good yesterday! I was running the same times as you. The guy on the KWS GSXR1000 was moving along pretty well also. Seth Starnes came past me in turn one and he was so leaned over that I let up because I thought he was crashing:crackup:

13. maine11204

maine11204 Well-Known Member

I'll be out there with you. It'll be my first race too.

14. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

24's are quite respectable times for a n00b racer. Hope you have fun and don't get hurt! :up:

15. AndyR1

AndyR1 Well-Known Member

Watch the starter and how he starts the race. You wanna know how he/she works before your on the grid.

Leave your pits on "3rd call for race ...?

And show respect for the National Anthem. (lot of people dont)

16. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

When you are sitting on the grid and you are nervous remember one thing that most people tend to forget...
    breathe.

17. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Werd :cool:

18. Seven+2 1's

Seven+2 1's Well-Known Member

Go for the win........

19. Matt399

Matt399 Well-Known Member

Good call! It's really easy to keep working on your bike, especially when you're rushing, but resist the temptation.

20. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I thought that went without saying. What gets me is men not removing their hats and then giving dirty looks when you remind them.