1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First impressions of my 1299S from D&D Cycles

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Nov 26, 2015.

1. I do have to preface this by saying I haven't had it on the track yet, just spent some time playing on my favorite mountain roads.

But first off, I have to say I couldn't be more pleased with the whole transaction/build from D&D Cycles (Pensacola). I have bought a lot of bikes from a lot of different places, and I have never had such a clean, drama free, easy and satisfying experience. As far as the sale, placing the original order was easy, dealing with them during the process was hassle-free and when I picked it up Mrs. Julie had all the paperwork ready to go and it literally took less than 5 minutes to complete everything.

I will definitely be buying more bikes from them. It was well worth the drive.

They (Robby-Bobby) took it from the crate and built it into a race bike. I couldn't be more pleased with the build quality and attention to detail. Everything is installed perfectly, very clean, works great and it is some of the best safety wiring work Ive ever seen. Not to mention all of the little things/details that were done to make the wiring and other things more tidy and easier to work on in the future. Anybody can prep a bike for the track, but there is a lot to be said for having the bike stripped to the frame and then rebuilt as a purpose built race bike by professional.

jt21 and panthercity like this.
  2. As far as the bike itself, just damn. I have owned and ridden A LOT of bikes, and this is the first time I have ever stopped, turned the key off, and just sat there speechless. I knew it would be fast, but I was not prepared for that kind of acceleration. Of course, the fact that it is a few pounds lighter than my R6 doesn't hurt anything. But the sheer grunt of that motor is insane.

But the thing is, it isn't just the outright power, it is how smooth and linear the power delivery is. It starts pulling really hard from as low as 4-5k RPM, and it pulls harder at 7-8k RPM than my RSV4 does at its peak. And once you get up to 9-10k RPM, the thing is getting some yonder in a hurry.

I was really surprised at how fast it revs. The 1098S I had revved really slow, almost as if you could count the revs as they happened. This new motor revs much, much quicker. It revs just as fast as the RSV4, if not faster. From what I have seen/felt, I think it is (will be) impossible to ride it with the Wheelie Control completely off. I don't think any of the guys on the Duc forum have been able to have it on the track with the WC off, or even have been able to have it set lower than 2.

As much as I am impressed by the motor, I am more impressed with the handling. If it wasn't for the power, I wouldn't know I was on a Liter bike. It flicks back and forth with little to no effort. It took a little while to get used to how quick it changed directions. It feels "telepathic". It was like I just had to think about turning and it would do it. I know they made several chassis/geometry changes the 1299 to improve the handling; I haven't ridden an 1199...but whatever they did, it works.

And this is all on the base setup. I haven't started playing with anything yet. I am looking forward to playing with the Dynamic (EC) Suspension, Engine Braking settings, etc. SO many buttons to play with. :D There are different modes, then inside each mode everything is adjustable.

Oh, and I was skeptical of the auto-blip (clutchless downshifting), but after seeing how good and smooth it works, I can see I am going to be spoiled with it. Even going into 1st gear was buttery smooth. It downshifts just as easily, quickly and smoothly as it upshifts. Literally no difference between the 2. It almost feels like cheating. :)

I plan on getting it down to Jennings during the offseason and will be able to provide some better feedback. But have you ever ridden a bike and immediately thought "I will go fast on this"?...that is the feeling I get with this bike. The ergos are actually comfortable (NOTHING like the previous models), the brakes are insane, electronics are smooth and almost undetectable, it changes directions like a well setup Daytona 675...and that motor...

Phl218 and cha0s#242 like this.
  3. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Awesome! Did you find the pube that Robby Bobby hid for you?

4. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Does it do sweet wheelies? You know, the important stuff.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Ever take it over any sweet jumps?

6. No.

Yes.

Yes.

:D

jt21 likes this.
  7. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

Nice... I love the auto downshift on my s1000rr... It doesn't feel fast though. I know it's fast, but around town it feels like a 600... Above 9k RPM's where it peaces the F out, I'm going to jail... Even in first gear. Since it's snowing here now, it'll be a while before I can get it out to Miller.

8. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I think my eyes just turned green with envy.
    Rock that thang!!!

Gorilla George likes this.
  9. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Pics or GTFO :D

StaccatoFan likes this.
  10. Phl218

Phl218 .

wait wait wait... i thought Ducatis are only good for posing at Starbucks and collecting brand apparell...

11. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Very cool Chris, enjoy it!

12. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Nice preliminary report.

13. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Very nice bike.
    Just curious….you mentioned it's now a race bike, but you have ridden it on some local mountain roads. Did he leave street items like brake lights and plate holder on?

14. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Wait, are you saying I can do more with it? Tell me more... :D

15. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Can't believe no one has done this considering it's Chris...

TL;DR

:D

Scotty87 likes this.
  16. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Have to agree...need pics.

Because you, Chris, may just cost me a lot of money I wasn't planning on spending. I got the itch to get a new bike, and I was
    looking at a Hypermotard because I'm thinking I want something different. But the 1299S intrigues me. And this review's NOT helping me resist the urge to buy one.

17. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I caught that too. Weren't doing anything illegal were you Broome ? :D

18. ljuice26

ljuice26 Well-Known Member

Great report. I hope my bike is back from the blueprinting and upgrades to join you at Jennings.

19. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

The Broomester makes his own rules.

Gorilla George likes this.
  20. I had a lot of preconcieved ideas about the bike after having the 1098S. I expected it to pull hard and brake well, but not change directions that quickly. I expected it to feel "raw". I expected it to be loud and "clanky" with a lot of vibration. I expected the ergos to be weird and the tank to be really skinny.

Every preconceived idea I had was wrong. With the only exception being that it is loud (full Akra EVO Ti exhaust). Lovette was standing right beside it when Rob's dad started it for the first time (I was getting the car). She said "when he started it up, I thought I had just got raped". :D But it isnt a clanky, rattling, rough kind of loud. It is a refined, "tight" kind of loud. Compared to the 1098, it revs and sounds like a F1 car.

I expected the brakes to be good, but I didn't expect them to have that kind of feel. I am sure one-finger endo's would be possible, but they are really smooth, linear and easy to modulate.

It is very narrow, but the gas tank is shaped in a way that lets me engage it with my knees easily (it was almost impossible for me to do that on the 1098). Even for me at 6'2", there is plenty of leg room (I actually moved the rearsets to the highest position, which I can't comfortably do on all of my bikes). But the one thing that makes the biggest difference is the reach to the bars. I had to get rid of the 1098 because it put way too much pressure on my hands (and surgically repaired left wrist). This one is totally different. It feels so good that I am strongly considering getting another one as a street bike.

The only bad part about the bike is that it is REALLY tiny. I thought the RSV4 was small and compact, but the Ape looks like a Busa compared to the Panigale. It is super light, it feels like Grim when I am rolling it around by hand. But it is super small...which means I will look like a Gorilla riding a bicycle. :D

If there is a such thing as a "tame beast", that is what the 1299S is. Make no mistake, it will rip your arms off under acceleration, but at the same time it feels very easy to ride. It easily goes where you want it to. It is as if it knows what you want and need before you do.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
    StaccatoFan and jt21 like this.