1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First female enrolled to BUDS

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by cortezmachine, Jul 22, 2017.

1. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

My wife and I have 3 small kids and we both work. Fortunately we’ve both worked somewhat flexible jobs since having kids. I can’t imagine how it is for people that work for inflexible employers. I’m hoping to have her quit working next year. It’ll make it more difficult to move out of high cost Los Angeles though, because with my skillset the big money and progression comes with bigger enterprises in urban areas. I think a lot of families are also trapped in that catch 22 even if they want to GTFO out of high cost areas.

People are fed up because the government and their corporate cronies tells nothing but fucking lies all day. This is why people are so enraged these days. We know everything we’re being told is utter bullshit. So when someone like Bernie or Trump comes along, people grab on. Those guys are 2 sides of the same phenomenon. Which is “fuck the system”. Same reason Brexit won.

If you want a real laugh, research how inflation calculations have changed since inception. These fuckers massage that shit to be 3-4% or whatever they want it to be that day. The real number is 10% + as a result of disastrous policies.

These guys are making an attempt at reporting the real numbers. I haven’t looked at their methodology yet, but the results look similar to reality.

http://www.shadowstats.com/alternate_data/inflation-charts

Montoya likes this.
  2. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

^^^ Figures don't lie but liars can figure.^^^

3. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

You should really look at RTP, NC. It's basically the silicon valley of the east. Most of those big Cali tech companies have a large presence out here. If you've got a tech skillset you can have a good job out here.

Steeltoe and Montoya like this.
  4. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Thanks for the recommendation! I’ve thought about NC before because of the tech presence. I checked out the job ads in my field, it seems the pay is about the same as Los Angeles with many open positions, and you can buy a very nice home for $200k vs $800k. I’ll have to take the wife on a trip out there next year to get her open to the possibility.

What’s the riding and lifestyle like? Next place I live I want to be able to ride dirtbikes with my son right out the back.

5. Motofun352

If it weren't for family obligations that's where I'd be. Probably 10 race tracks within a days trip. Mountain roads galore and a friendly attitude to boot. Only downside is it gets hot in the summer.

6. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

Smokey Mountains, Appalachian Mountains, Blue Ridge Parkway, VIR, and Deals Gap are not far off.

7. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

As others have said, you have lots of great tracks within an 8 hour drive. Here in this specific area VIR is just an hour and a half away. It's my fave track in the world, more than Barber. The beach is a two hour drive. The mountains are more like 3-4 hours but an easy weekend trip. As others have said you do have seasons here but it's more like summer for 8 months, winter, fall, and spring one month, then one month of who the hell knows. If you do come out here keep my name handy. I can give you a lot of info on the best areas to live. Not too many that aren't good but it's more about cost and what you get.

8. Potts N Pans

9. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I'm a consultant for Red Hat....every time I go to Raleigh for a class, I don't want to come back home.

10. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

This is the kind of silly stuff I just don't get. The current middle class lives like the upper class did back in the one earner years. With just one income they didn't have 3k square foot houses, they didn't have two cars, or pay for TV or have cell phones or go out to eat all the time. You can do one income even now - but you have to live within your means. If more people chose to do that the middle levels would require a hell of a lot less money.

As for 2 parents, not a necessity. I'm not even sure what metric is being used to determine how kids are so much worse off now than in the past too. I'm not seeing it.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

13. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

My wife and I raised 2 kids on just my salary. She was a stay at home mom up until around 3 years ago. She went back to work just so she could have spending money. It's not required. Like Mongo said, you don't need all that crap.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I also find it funny how people insist it can't be done yet ignore all those double income households that become double income but double households after the divorce...

15. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

16. Motofun352

There is no one size fits all when it comes to successful families. Having said that it is fair to look at overall trends. My assessment is that a two income structure has some bad outcomes even when the parents are trying to do their best. Because there is less direct parental oversight, that role falls to the system, usually in the form of some sort of school. When the parents are available they feel the need to "make-up" the time. This can cause unreasonable expectations on the part of the kids like we can go to the amusement park every weekend, helicopter parents, etc.
    Kids need a lot of alone time so that they can figure stuff out, with a parent merely in the background. When the parent or the teacher/day care worker is always right there the kids become dependent on that help and fail to learn how to be independent. Just my opinion, for what ever it's worth......

Clay likes this.
  17. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Nobody has a pic of this broad yet?

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Works for me - what are you using to measure success?

What is it that is making people says kids now are worse off than before or lazier or stupider or whatever it is? Because I'm not seeing it. I see stupid kids and smart ones, lazy and hard working, all sorts of kids out there. Just like when I was a kid and when my parents were and on and on.

19. Potts N Pans

The first female Marine passed the 12 week Recon course in November.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

She had special help/requirements. :D