1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firearms/Handgun Training

Discussion in 'General' started by jeremy dunn, Feb 5, 2013.

1. jeremy dunn

jeremy dunn Well-Known Member

I have recently purchaced a handgun & taken the concealed weapons class & am really enjoying the sport of shooting. I find myself going to the range every chance I get or just going out in the back yard(I live in the country) & shooting but I want to get better. I'm an ok shot but I find myself anticipating shots & making small mistakes like that. As with racing I'm very competitive but more than that I want to improve, I have even been looking at shooting competitions. My question is, have any of you ever taken any type of Tactical training course as far as what to do in certain situations or shooting on the move type of thing.

I don't want this to turn political or turn into a big debate(which I know will be hard for this place), just looking for honest opinions & help with a new found hobby.

2. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

learn to control your breathing, fire on exhale.

watch your trigger finger placement as well, most folks want to shoot from the first crook of their finger, shoot from the pad

If you get into long range rifle shooting, shoot between heart beats

3. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

I took an IPSC training course about fifteen years ago. I shot a few events and had a lot of fun. Life intervened and I couldn't do it as much, then I started racing and that consumed every $ I had. Google around "IPSC" for some ideas, and ask at your local range and gun stores for information on IPSC competition and training courses.

In addition to learning some valuable self-defense skills, the actual competition is fun and fast-paced.

4. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

As a firearms instructor, one of the biggest mistakes I see is anticipating the BANG. Usually makes a right hand shooter hit low and left.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  5. mikek

mikek Well-Known Member

been a long while back, I spent weekends shooting IPSC matches. Lots to learn and almost as much fun as motorcycle racing.

6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I like the BANG, and I always seem to group low and left. I just figured I hate the right kidney. :D

Competitive shoots look like a blast, but the pragmatic side of me can't get past the volume of ammo blown through. Tactical training will spare your rounds while engaging a lot more of your brain in the psychology of survival.

And, of course, there's always Airsoft to do tactical *and* be Dave K cheap on ammo. :up:

7. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

Marine-FAST Team guy/friend made me forget everything I knew and start from scratch. Trained hard for 2 years in all kinds of wacky scenarios. Was fun, but expensive.
    We both competed, but scored mediocre, because we did it slow/methodical/safe, as you would in real life....we didn't just run and gun. That was fun too.

8. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

It takes a long time to be a good shooter best thing I can say is find a friend that learned how to shoot in the military. My Granddad who was an expert ranked rifle shooter thought me how to shoot when I was 4 with a 30-30. I did one competition when I was 14 and used everything he taught me and would have finished in top 5 if my clip did not fall out in the reload part. he also taught my buddy who became a top ranked shooter in the Marines.

9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

(I used to shoot at Calibers in Greensboro but that was over 10 years ago and Wayne since sold the place to someone else. A lot of LEO would shoot there and they had great training available when I was there.)

Matt Burkett says everybody flinches. The good shooters just flinch a lot less.;)

If you want to master the flinch you need to dry fire practice. A lot, like way more than you shoot. Look on youtube for Matt Burkett, Brian Enos and Jerry Miculek. Jerry uses 10+lb triggers exclusively and is one of the greatest marksmen on the planet. All those guys have advice and simple drills you can try. Come back when you've mastered the ole coin on the front sight drill.:D

Everybody knows about this right? (It's for right handed, if you're southpaw just reverse)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  10. Seven+2 1's

Seven+2 1's Well-Known Member

I can help you out, if you want to learn a little about IPSC. I travel the country and world shooting matches.

I see your in NC. Check out www.ncsection.org for some local matches.

11. Ian178

Ian178 Well-Known Member

That's so hard. I had no idea how much I was doing that till I was shooting my pf9. I had gauged where the trigger brakes, and was trying to take the slack up, and then shoot. Well, once I took the slack up and squeezed to make my shot, but I didn't squeeze far enough. The gun didn't do off, and my sights were about two feet under my target!

Since then I've been working on it, but it's hard for me. I guess i'm just a little jittery. I try to get my mind in the zone, but still end up yanking it sometimes. I think I just need to shoot more which is easier said than done these days.

12. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

Training: Slow = smooth, smooth = fast

13. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

Dry firing is a great inexpensive way to practice NOT to anticipate the shot.

If that doesn't work, I like to get a .38 and load half of it with rounds and half with spent casings.

14. Falcondrvr

Falcondrvr Well-Known Member

Since it appears you're in NC, you may want to check out VTAC or Acedemi for training. I'm sure there are some smaller, local schools that give instruction as well. We have quite a few up here in CT that do a great job when it comes to self defense/law instruction. Ask around at your local range or join a gun forum that is NC specific and see what folks have to say

15. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Best advice I've seen yet. :up:

16. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

I've been giving a hard time about dry firing on this board, but trust me, I've had the opportunity to learn from gold medal Olympians to guys like Paul Howe and Bennie Cooley. They all dry fire. A lot. I dry fire several times a week. Make sure you follow all of your safety protocols and that your weapon can be dry fired without causing damage.

Another great thing about dry firing is at you can use that time to become more proficient with weapon manipulations.

Be honest with your goals. Do you want to just focus on marksmanship, or run a gun in IDPA type settings? That will guide your path.

Different schools will teach different methods regarding shooting on the move, or moving quickly then shooting.

Final thought. Competition will make you a better shooter, and don't be afraid to show up. Most matches have beginner/novice ranks, if your safe, you' ll have fun.

17. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

Edit: I like to use a .38 revolver. Figured most would know what I'm talking about, but just wanted to clarify.

Also, when you're dry firing you can put a spent casing on the end of the gun, near the front sight. If the casing falls, you know you're anticipating the shot.

Just remember, if you don't have the basics down, you could be staring and reinforcing bad habits.

18. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

Love the idea of competition, and I have started looking into re-loading. More for the hobby than any cost savings goal.

It all looks like a lot of fun, but I can say the initial start-up costs of re-loading can be a shock... I figure to spend at least $500 just to get all the basic stuff... probably closer to $1000 if I go with the progressive press I have been looking at...:eek:

19. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Pays for itself REALLY fast right now though.

20. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

I know.... the way stuff is priced right now... I have no doubt that I could realize some sort of savings on a per 1000 round basis...