1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finishing Shop Garage

Discussion in 'General' started by xTomKx, May 23, 2019.

1. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

I had some OSB walls in my shop before I redid the garage. The big problem I had with it as a wall material was that it was very rough and would snag on everything and pull bits of the OSB (or whatever it snagged on) off. And there was no real way to smooth it up much. It was a little fussier about hanging stuff (depends on where you ended up on a given piece of OSB). Also a little fussier about screwing it to the studs, for the same reason. The stuff I got just had too much variability in quality for that application.

The price difference is definitely there between it and good grade plywood, but in the scheme of a whole project, it wasn't a major cost (things like garage doors were killing me). Also, if you look at the length of time you will have it up, it seems worth spending up.

2. trussdude

trussdude Well-Known Member

OSB is a fine product as long as its used as intended.

It's not to be used as a finished product (designed to be covered up) and like ALL wood it's not good with moisture.

3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Anytime you put would against block, concrete, masonry, etc, it’s a good idea to use EPDM as an insulator to provide a moisture break to the wood. UGL makes a product call Drylok that’s worth applying, before any construction begins, as well.

Not necessarily. But, hung and finished right, it can provide a nice, durable surface. The problem is people are quick to throw stuff up, then, complain about it, no matter what the job is. They just want quick and cheap, anymore.

4. xTomKx

xTomKx Well-Known Member

I went to Home Depot to check out OSB they had. Turned out to be of good quality and very smooth. At $8 per sheet I couldn’t go wrong. While it may not work for all garages I think it will do the trick.

Here is pic of the progress

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Stevens and ducnut like this.
  5. xTomKx

xTomKx Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

ducnut likes this.
  6. xTomKx

xTomKx Well-Known Member

Still work in progress but I’m happy with how it’s coming along

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BigBird, ducnut, Rising and 1 other person like this.
  7. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Sweet set up Man!

xTomKx likes this.
  8. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Very nice!

xTomKx likes this.
  9. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Very nice! I had to bring 30 amps out to mine since it only had one outlet. This autumn i plan to power wash the floor. It needs it.

10. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Menards offer garage mats you can put down to protect your floor. Mine are 8’X20’ and am thinking they were only a couple hundred bucks, on sale.

11. xTomKx

xTomKx Well-Known Member

I ran extra 20amp circuit from sub panel and 220v before the finish. Also added outlets on ceiling and extra boxes for lights.

Ducti89 likes this.
  12. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

From the looks of the sprinkles on the floor he already did the 2-part epoxy covering on the floor. I did that in my last garage and it held up great. The key is to make sure the floor is cleaned properly prior to applying. If there is proper cleaning and application that shit will last forever. :cool:

The only time I ever used a rubber mat was when I had to lay down on the garage floor to work on something under the bike since I didn't have a lift. ;)

13. xTomKx

xTomKx Well-Known Member

I may get a mat for the street bike since that always stays in same spot and goes in and out a lot.

14. BigBird

BigBird blah

@xTomKx did you just paint the wood?

15. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

What's the best way to insulate a cinder block wall garage? Metal furring strips, insulate between the strips with rigid foam and rock/plywood on top? Or can you do it from the outside: vapor barrier, insulation board and then stone as a decorative finish??

16. xTomKx

xTomKx Well-Known Member

I had contractor primer and paint the OSB. They sprayed it.

BigBird likes this.
  17. BigBird

BigBird blah

Garage is looking pretty awesome.

18. xTomKx

xTomKx Well-Known Member

Took me most of a day to prep the floor. Was a lot of work.

My buddy did epoxy in his garage some 10 years ago. He does metal fabrication and epoxy held up very well.

19. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

OSB painted up pretty nice... Looking good!

20. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

This is the brand I have. I got the ribbed pattern, so rain runoff, snowmelt, etc can’t spread off the mat. I simply broom it straight out the door, which keeps everything else clean.

https://gfloor.com/pages/photo-gallery

xTomKx likes this.